Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
While downloading the itunes update and a few other updates i got my first Kernal Panic! I was pretty shocked. Now safari, itunes, and the software update will not launch. Has this happened to anyone else? Im on fire fox if anyone is wondering how im typing this if safari wont launch...

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I'd say you should go into disk utility and repair disk permissions. I'd even go as far as to boot of my installation disk and repair the disk from the instal/restore disk's disk utility. I don't believe it merits a reinstall though.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
wait 'til you get your first kernel panic. you'll really freak out. :)

You know that out of all my Apple Computer purchases from the past 5 years, I have yet to encounter one.

I've gone though an iBook, 2 Powerbooks, iMacs (1 of each: G4,G5, and Intel), a Macbook Pro CD and a Macbook C2D.

All I own, at the moment, is the Macbook Pro, the Macbook and iMac (C2D Intel). The rest I sold so that I can get the better Apple machines. Hopefully, I can get rid of the iMac soon for the new iMac that's coming out.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
I'd say you should go into disk utility and repair disk permissions. I'd even go as far as to boot of my installation disk and repair the disk from the instal/restore disk's disk utility. I don't believe it merits a reinstall though.

i went into disk utility and repaired disk permissions but itunes, safari, and software update still wont launch, how do i boot my instalation disk and repair my disk from the instal/restore disks disk utility? sorry im not too sharp when it comes to this kind of things. everyones help would be appreciated... i also tried to call apple care but i called outside of operating times, im kind of surprised that apple care is not open 24 hours...

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
WTF!!! thats the screen i got! It had the power on button in the middle and it said you must restart your computer and had some Japanese writing or some language. What do i do? i thought macs dont have these kind of problems, thats one of the reasons why i like apple so much!

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
i went into disk utility and repaired disk permissions but itunes, safari, and software update still wont launch, how do i boot my instalation disk and repair my disk from the instal/restore disks disk utility? sorry im not too sharp when it comes to this kind of things. everyones help would be appreciated... i also tried to call apple care but i called outside of operating times, im kind of surprised that apple care is not open 24 hours...

Ah, what you do is you put the disk in the drive. You then turn off your Mac, and as soon as you turn it back on, hold down the "C" key until a language menu pops up (for good measure, not sure if it's necessary). You proceed until a finder-like bar appears, and from the drop down menu "utilities" you select "disk utility." You then do what you need to there and shut it down (through the Apple menu, if it's grayed out, find a way, I don't remember). Then you restart normally. If that doesn't work, I'm unsure of what to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.