First Ever Mac need help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipooed, Jun 3, 2015.

1. ipooed macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2014
    I have always used PC's, I am a very fast learner and wanted to try something different picked myself up a macbook pro early 2013 13" for $700 canadian, Anyways on to my question.

With my PC's i would format a flash drive to NTFS and transfer video to it so i could play the videos on my TV, with the mac i format the flash drive to Mac (extended journaled) and transfer the files however the tv will not recognize the flash drive and therefore i cannot watch videos. I did format to MS-DOS my tv will pick up the flash drive that way however most files i watch are over 4GB and there is no way to transfer 4GB and over to the flash drive formatted as MS-DOS.

could someone explain how to format the flash drive so my TV will pick it up and i can put files larger than 4GB on it. I am running mavericks
  2. Shazam1203 macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2015
    It depends on the tv but exFAT is generally cross compatible between platforms and supports larger files.
  3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Oct 24, 2013
    This, if you never use files larger than 4GB you can go with FAT32, otherwise use exFAT.
  4. ipooed, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

ipooed thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2014
    Awesome guys thanks for the info

update: exfat did not work on my tv (samsung smart tv) any other options for files bigger than 4GB