First ever Mac!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael.Dribins, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Michael.Dribins macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I will soon be buying my first ever Mac. need it to use audio editing software like Logic and Pro Tools. I'm thinking about getting MBP 15" 2.6 4Gb. but is it worth it getting 2.6 over 2.5? for 160 pounds extra?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I hope you're waiting for an update first.

I wouldn't get the highest clock speed unless your livelihood depends on getting a task done fast.

3. Michael.Dribins thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I am. reloading the forum every hour or so.....:)

Well that's the thing. I'm not sure if that 4% difference actually makes any difference in Logic/Pro Tools perfomance

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

From what I can tell using my MBP, I don't think you'll really need the extra 100Mhz. I can tell you that the most processor-intensive application I use is HandBrake, and it uses as much CPU as it can. But that's for video encoding. When ripping CDs in iTunes, it doesn't seem to be much of an impact.

I usually don't buy the top-of-the line computer in any line, PC or Mac. The top end stuff is usually not as good of a deal. Go take a look at just CPU prices at any electronics site that sells them. So you're probably better off at 2.5Ghz.

Also, make sure you stick with the lowest RAM you can get on the machine. Upgrade later with third-party stuff. Much cheaper.

Welcome to the club. Once you go Mac, you never go back.

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

you will never notice the speed difference between 2.5 and 2.6. . i would get the 2.5 and a faster hdd and max out the ram.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

In an update, I'm using Garage Band to edit some audio tracks for ringtones. I'm doing this with a 2.16Ghz MBP. WIth HandBrake running, I'm using about 40% of my CPU (which is actually 20% with a dual-core). You shouldn't have any trouble with a 2.5 (lucky bassturd).

7. Michael.Dribins thread starter macrumors newbie

8. dtklamf macrumors regular

still running a 2ghz core duo MBP which handles logic quite adequately and easily.granted im not processing the **** out of tracks but usually have 16-24 tracks going at once.

so yeah.

go with whatever you can afford i guess.

9. MusicallySilent macrumors member

I am doubtful you will notice .1ghz difference even in high end programs like logic pro.

You are probably better off investing your money in a faster hard drive and more RAM so clips, and programs will load faster.

Apparently there was a 50% increase in speed from 2.16 - 2.5, however the processor technology, and the platform changed since then so some of it may be attributed to the 800mhz FSB. (if i remember right)

10. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

FSB is 667. There is no apple laptop with 800 fsb (yet).

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

12. azharc macrumors member

IMHO you'd be better off spending that 160 pounds on a RAID drive (G-Tech maybe?) which will do you more good than 0.1Ghz.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yarr, but it's the best comparison I have. I'm encoding a video in iMovie now and it's using half my CPU power. I really don't think any MacBooks or MBPs have any lack of processing power until you get to video editing or running 10 things at once.

14. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Nope.