First every Macbook/ apple computer,RAM concerns

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cjsuperstar, Dec 22, 2007.

1. cjsuperstar macrumors newbie

Hi, I just got my brand spanking new Macbook yesterday. I'm a convert from Windows as I got fed up with the buggy XP system and plus the MacBook laptop is super pretty...
    It's the new "SR" MacBook

Anyway I just need some advice over the computer's RAM I have the standard 1GB configuration, running just Safari,Azureus and Itunes the Activity monitor says that I am using up:
    • VM size of 35GB
    • page ins 2.34GB and page outs 515.12MB
    • over 800MB of the 1GB available

It does however say that the CPU is only used at 5.6% !!!!

What I wanted to know firstly, was if there is anything wrong with my computer (does everyone else's use up so much?) also would you advise me to upgrade the RAM (2 or 4GB?).

I am a keen musician so I also plan to use music software such as Ableton Live , I also want to do A bit of photoshoping.

Secondly are there any tricks and turns with macs that I do not know about?

Thanks in advance

PS: you will probably see loads more dumb newbie posts from me on this forum.lol

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i would advise more ram based off your numbers.

3. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

35G is allocated, not used; An application will over allocate for its needs, but never actually use the amount of memory.

The amount of free memory is always inaccurate on UNIX systems; no concern yourself with the statistics as it is all voodoo in the end; its never accurate.

As for the total amount of memory, 1gig is sufficient for most people, 2 gigs if you do a lot of stuff at the same time, but anything above that the difference isn't noticeable.

4. cjsuperstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, are the numbers I'm seeing not abnormal then? I was just a bit worried, I think I might have to upgrade then, I do alot of music stuff with vsts and all of that so I'm guessing that'll consume even more RAM.

5. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

True - with that being said, realise there are limitations; there will always be something slowing things down. If performance is absolutely important, Mac Pro is the only way to go.

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

And with his CPU usage at 5.6%, he really has nothing to worry about.

OP: Go for 2GB if you have the money laying around (not that it is extraordinarily expensive) but as of right now, unless you notice your system being laggy, you are fine.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

his page in to page out is like 5:1. anytime its greater than 10:1 i advise more ram