Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
I was confusedl lol, but fell in love very fast. I had a MacBook(santa rose). Now I can't stop getting apple products.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I had one loaned to me to fix (soda spilled into it, I replaced the keyboard). It was pretty confusing at first but I took to it quickly and, well, one thing led to another...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My first experience was with a Performa 6200. At the age I was it looked no different then Windows 3.1. I ended up becoming the expert at using it. We still have that silly thing and I love it as much now as I did then.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
I had been drooling over the G4 Cube in magazines. Then, in 2002 the iMac G4 came out. :eek: I fell in love! I went to see them at the Comp USA store in Burbank. I had never experienced Mac OS X before. I was utterly amazed! I got a 17" iMac the next year and have loved every second of it since. :)

Love

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2007
Just southeast of Northwestshire
I had a Compaq PC i got. It had turned out to be pretty crap, so I started looking at the marketplace, and noticed the 12inch PowerBook G4. (this was prior to Intel at all). It looked pretty fantastic, and at a decent price. I didn't get a new machine for a while, but when I was in the market, I looked first at Mac. I was mesmerized by OS X Tiger, and the new intel iMacs.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
I kinda hated my mac at first. It was a g3 imac, and I got it right at the transition from os 9 to os x. It came packaged with os 9, but was set to boot to os x. I had just gotten my wisdom teeth removed and was pretty pilled up for the week I first got it. Learning os x but having nothing work just to find out that os 10.0.3 had almost no drivers for anything including the built in modem, then learning os 9, then re learning os x a couple weeks later when they sent the 10.1 update cd out was a complete pain in the ass. Not as much of a pain of an ass as windows though, and I never looked back.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
My first experience with mac was an original Macintosh - clunky keyboard and mouse. At the time we were using Acorn Archimedes and RM Nimbus (and Speccy's/C64 at home). I fell in love with that little mac. I don't really know why - macwrite just seemed so much easier (even with its little mono screen and floppy loading of apps). Kept with the mac through to the LCII (ahh those 68030's).....

it just seemed 'right' for me.

Then I was seduced by the dark side for a while, once I left school, as the lure of the IBM PC got to me; (a muscular 386DX swept me up). Tt was many years before I went back (OS X Leo on my PC as a 'ooh I wonder how its improved since System 7?' experiment). within a month the PC was sold and I had my Mac Pro.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Tried out the original Macintosh at a ComputerLand in Menlo Park, maybe a week or two after it first came out. Knew right away I was looking at the future, even if it took my command line-indoctrinated self a little while to get the hang of mousing around.

BummedMacUser

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
First iMac

I love my fairly new iMac, but I've had trouble with the help screens. Not knowing what Apple calls something was frustrating. For example, I like to printscreen. It took me a while to learn I had to use three keys to make a copy to the desktop, and then go to Edit and do some other steps to get the piece of the picture I wanted. Also, I'm frustrated about the iMac putting "trashes" ghost copies of all files on my thumbdrive when I copy a jpg to it, to take to my PC to edit. When I delete the trashes copy, it corrupts the file. I've posted a request for help on that, but no responses yet. Otherwise, my iMac has been a ton of fun! :)

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Got my MacBook Christmas 2009. Now love Macs and Apple products and can't stand using Windows.

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
What was your first experience with a Mac? Did you like it at first, or was you sold from the first second.

Having been a Windows user for so many years (in a multimedia software development environment), I found I had to "unlearn" many Windows protocols and blue screen/network/workaround issues. On adopting a Mac environment, I was a little hesitant, but was surprised that everything just worked without much user input. Very elegant.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
First Mac I used was around 20 years ago. Just a B/W screen. I was a kid then and though that the icon stuff was cool but really played the cannon game.

The one thing I remember about it is the fact that I did not like how the menus worked (at the top of the screen) and I had trouble understanding how to control them. Still to this day that is the one thing I hate about macs. Since I was 7 years old I have always though that those menu items should be on the corresponding windows like it is on the the Microsoft OS.
Just do not say it was because of Microsoft windows. It really is something that has driven me crazy about Macs since I was 7. Macintosh was the first GUI system I have ever used.

first computer I remember using was an Apple II

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
First experience was in elementary school on a Macintosh Classic II with the square one button mouse playing "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?" and "Sim City". I think the experience right after that was using the iMac G2.

I was addicted to Carmen San Diego but I wasn't a HUGE fan of Macs until Oct 09 when I got my MacBook Pro. I was actually under the impression that Macs sucked until then :eek:

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
I bought a White MacBook about 3 years ago because I thought they looked cool....

Didn't know anything about the OS, although I had done some research into compatibility with Windows stuff to make sure I wouldn't have any problems. Everything was super easy to set up and get used, and now I love the OS. My second computer that I've bought is also a Mac, and I plan to stick with them for the foreseeable future.

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
First started using Macs in 2005 when my dad got a Mini and an iBook G4, then in 2006 he got a Macbook Pro but like a year after his work gave him one so I got it and have used it to death since :) Need a new one though, this one struggles with lightroom. Want a desktop Mac but the specs aren't really appealing (iMac not an option since I already have a screen).

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
My first Mac was a Blackbook. Totally blew my mind on what I had initially thought about Macs. WAY AWESOME. :)

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Erm...

I think it was at my dad's office... there was this game, where you match two pictures. It was on a Mac 128k I think, but maybe it was a beige PowerMac. The memory is quite old.

And then my parents bought an iMac in 1999. I've used this one until this fall (yes, it had become slow and slugish as hell).

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
When I was a kid we had a powerbook 100, I did my homework on it and printed it out with the stylewriter printer that we had with it, it was pretty neat little system, I remember playing shufflepuck on it too.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Late 2008 MacBook. I was like 'W00t?!? The programs don't close when I click on the X?'

I don't want it any other way now.

danielcox

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
I had little goes before but the first real time was when I was active on the PearPC project. I had a little Linux experience before that but was mostly a Windows chap. I thought it was alright but at that time wasn't suitable for me.

A few years later and our physics department is 95% Mac only so we had to use them. Nice shiny alu iMacs. Now the benefits were showing more, easier to keep track of lots of windows and the UNIX stuff was really useful now.

When Snow Leopard came the platform was finally right. It had few disadvantages to Windows 7 (which is a great OS) and had all the right advantages.

CaptMurdock

Suspended
Jan 2, 2009
The Evildrome Boozerama
I had used Apple //'s in college, especially on the college newspaper. This was when we had to use a typesetting program that used arcane codes, and perish forbid you made a single mistake. We had to take the disk halfway across campus from the newspaper office to the graphic arts department, and it was there that we would find out if we had screwed the whole thing up or not. (Even if it came out perfectly, we still had to cut up the photomechanically transferred text from the long strip it came out on and paste it up on lightboards. Very primitive).

One day, one of the graphics arts guys had a Macintosh, the original. Now, I had heard vaguely about this thing. I thought the mouse was an interesting innovation, but hardly a game changer. Then he showed me MacWrite. He had some text on the screen, but it didn't look like the standard cookie-cutter text on the Apple // -- this actually was in Helvetica. Then he highlighted one portion -- which in itself was cool -- and switched the font to Times (or whatever the psuedo-Times font was called back then. Then he highlighted another word, and made it bold. Another became italic.

The next sound we heard was our jaws hitting the floor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.