First Few Days With My New 2.4 Aluminum Macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bloake, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

Hi! I've been following the forums for a while, but recently, I've made a splash to officially join the Mac crowd and invest in a Macbook. This has been the biggest investment for me, since I'm still in college, and I decided to splurge on some money I've earned over the summer.

I've been reading a lot of negative threads in here, since way back when, so I've decided to post something on the more positive side. I'm not here to praise and glorify the all new Macbooks, as they do have flaws. My impressions so far has been great. I have been lucky enough to have gotten one that has minimal flaws. I'm very meticulous and I inspected this laptop right after I opened it. I did no see any of the more popular defects that people usually complain about. Maybe except for the slightly slanted function keys, which I can live with. Other than that, this machine is built solidly. I haven't really found issue with the glossy screen, mainly because I've had an old laptop with glossy screen, so maybe I'm just used to it. The screen is so bright (on the highest setting) that it's not much of a problem getting distracted with the reflection from the glossiness.

The new trackpad is surprisingly easy to use. My only problem about it is that whenever I drag something, there seems to be a delay from the time I lift my finger off, and when the mouse pointer lets go of the item (If there's a fix for this, please let me know!). I do find the size of it really easy to work with, because it's so easy to drag something on one side to the other with just one stroke.

I love the backlit keyboard. It's such a nice touch, especially in the dark.

I've been treating this like a baby for the past few days. I've been so anal about keeping it clean, to the point that I'd be using mice and keyboard instead just to keep my greasy fingers from the laptop.

I'm not sure what else to talk about, but if anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to help! :) I just hope this has been slightly helpful to those who are considering getting one.

2. Nobita macrumors 6502

Be careful not to scratch it. I scratched mine a little bit. It doesn't look new anymore even though it's only one and a half month old..

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

You should really think about getting this then.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Does it scratch that easily or were you not careful with it? I'm just curious b/c I'm buying the new Macbook Pro (maybe Air) in January. I have heard a lot of complaints about the new one on here (which is common for message boards of course so I take it with a grain of salt), but I haven't heard about any problems with scratches. It isn't that big of a deal with me (not a make or break deal with me), but I am curious.

5. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

If you're willing to wait that long, I'd personally wait until a refresh. That way, you are more secure with a Rev B machine. My 2 cents though.

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

That would be when though? March-April? I'm sure we won't see anything in January at their big event(for the Macbooks). I guess I can wait until March-April, but what do you expect they would do to make it better? Nehelem won't be in them by then. Maybe Snow leopard which can easily be upgraded to the Rev A's. I'm curious what others think the Rev B upgrades will be. I just don't see anything earth shattering until they introduce Nehelem to the Macbooks. I can't wait that long (guess I can, but I'm not the type to wait and wait, and wait--too much uncertainty especially with Apple being secret about everything).

7. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

It's not about upgrades for the OS or chipsets. I'm talking about build quality. With a Rev B, there will be less problems (statistically).

8. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I just ordered mine, THANKS!!

9. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

10. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

See when you see all the bad things on this forum, you have to realize.

*ball parking figures

20% of MacRumours members post negative things
    Of all Mac owners, probably less than 5% (considerably less) are on MacRumours
    These posts take up 90% of the forum

So what you end up with is a little group of people doing a lot of posting of their problems :]

11. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Considering there're a little over 250 000 users, with only a little fractions of them that are active, while there are over tens of millions of Mac Users, I would be surprised if there would be even 0,01% of all Mac users on this website, which would make less then 0,002% of the overall number of Mac users on the world that would post negative things....

12. Nobita macrumors 6502

As of scratching, I think the aluminum is not that strong in a sense of forces from outside... I'm saying yes that is stronger than plastic, but it doesn't mean it's scratch-proof.

13. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

The thought of the opposite, or many many users making up the majority of the posts with how great it is that their keyboard works, their hard drive isn't broken, their trackpad isn't cracked, their machine isn't overheating, ad nauseum... the thought made me puke a little inside my mouth.

I'd rather read about the complaints, honestly, just as long as they are legitimate. The stuff that works should be assumed.

14. Nobita macrumors 6502

Nah... Honestly, I am giving apple 9 out of 10 for this product.

My processor has gone up to 64 celcius occasionally, but that really isn't a big hassle for me.

Keyboards and trackpad and everything else was beautiful.

15. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Aluminum stronger than plastic!? You gotta be kidding me!!! I thought the same EXACT thing and got attacked for it! LOOK OUT!! I already know what forum members are coming for you!! haha!! :rolleyes:

16. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

well i have an iphone and a macbook. i am an expert on the iphone but a newbie with macs cause i jsut got my first one ever about 3 weeks ago. so yes most of my posts regarding the mac are questions.