First firmware upgrade after JB... is this normal?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Ashyukun, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

I Jailbroke my 3G iPhone shortly after the 2.2 update (which was done via QuickPwn), so the recent 2.2.1 was the first for me that was an update with a Jailbroken phone. Furthermore, though I don't have the phone unlocked at the moment, I didn't want to lose the capability to do it in case it became necessary in the future (i.e., I get sent abroad and wanted to use it on a carrier there) so I wanted to preserve the baseband through the upgrade.

I followed the steps in the guide here (that match up pretty much exactly with several others I found as well), and was able to do build the new firmware in Pwnage and then install it via a restore- but this resulted in the phone being largely wiped clean of all the media files and apps I had installed.

Thankfully I'd figured that would happen and had backed things up and prepared for it- but I have to wonder, is this normal? And if so, is there a better way to back up things from the phone so you don't lose ratings and such (I used Senuti to build a playlist in iTunes that I could just copy back over, but it didn't keep all my ratings so I've got to re-rate everything)? I was pleased though with how well AptBackup worked for the Cydia apps.

Thanks!

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

PwnageTool wipes your data. QuickPwn doesn't. But I'd recommend doing a restore before jailbreaking, so either way you loose all your data. Sycning in iTunes and using apps such as AptBackup and Appbackup will help you restore data.

So yes, it is perfectly normal :)