First-gen 15" base rMBP, Chrome still has scroll lag?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KingArthurVI, Jul 11, 2013.

1. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

It's just unbelievable that after all these months, they have not fixed this. I don't want to enable constant gfx acceleration because battery life is important to me, while Webkit is not an option for me because I do most of my work on the rMBP and don't want tabs to start crashing on me.

Anyone figured out a solution yet? :confused:

2. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I echo the vote, if a given web browser isn't working too well, then find a different browser. I prefer safari on my Mac but I use Chrome on my work pc, because chrome is the best option on the PC and imo Safari is on the Mac

4. mitchellm macrumors newbie

how is the possible with a dGPU in there, this scares me off from buying now :confused:

5. Zopper macrumors newbie

im staring at a $1599 rMBP refurb in my cart right now...

seems like a good deal, but im scared that this thing cant really handle the display

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

do it, do it, do it. :D

I've said this before the rMBP is the best laptop I've owned - the screen is gorgeous

7. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I just bought a 2012 refurb 15" and I have no lag with safari

8. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Safari and Chrome are very smooth for me on the same computer. Sure you're using the newest version of Chrome and updated the OSX fully?

The browsing is extremely smooth. UI can get a (very little) choppy when using auto graphics though.

9. KingArthurVI thread starter macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

I have to begin by saying the reason I need to use Chrome is because of all my settings, passwords, bookmarks, extensions and history that are synced with my company PC at my workplace. Also, Chrome is my go-to browser whenever I encounter any site component that requires Adobe Flash since Chrome has Flash sandboxed in and I refuse to install Flash due to performance issues and unnecessary fan noises that people have been reporting.

I have tried Safari and yes it doesn't lag, but my situation requires that I use Chrome (see above).

Well yes I have considered Mozilla as well but it isn't as smooth as Safari, and doesn't sync with my Chrome on my workplace PC, so it is no different than simply using Safari.

Aside from the reasons I've given above, I'm a strong advocate for open choices for consumers. Regardless of whether it is Apple's fault or the other developers' fault, what is the use of 3rd party softwares if none can possibly be optimized to take advantage of this supposedly cutting-edge (bleeding-edge I guess..) laptop? :confused:

During normal web browsing (with the dGPU forced-always-on acceleration option off), Chrome uses the HD4000. The dGPU only kicks in when Flash comes in or when displaying content-heavy webpages.

I bought this rMBP knowing exactly what I'm getting myself into, but I had no idea that after all these months, nobody's figured out how to make the experience as buttery smooth as all the cMBPs, which is a real shame, considering how much the rMBPs cost over the cMBPs.

Yes, but I really need to use Chrome for my work :( and also, Safari's choice of browser extensions is just pathetic.

----------

Yes both Chrome and OS X are updated. I'm assuming you're forcing the computer to run on dGPU when using Chrome? I'm worried about battery performance issues and so I've decided not to force it to run on dGPU. I just hope there's a way for it to run on auto graphics and still scroll smoothly, like on cMBPs, and even Windows PCs!

Could it also be that my rMBP is only 2.3 GHz as it is the base configuration model? But I'm guessing that it is a software sort of thing.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All I can say some applications simply just don't behave and here we have one example. you do have a choice, either to live with it, or to choose a different browser. I'm not trying to sound coy or anything but stating that if something doesn't work and an alternative is available, I think its a good idea to use the alternative.

You're right it doesn't matter whose fault it is, the fact is, that app doesn't work as expected. You can live with it, or you can choose something else :)

11. cbs20 macrumors member

Chrome optimization is up to Google to accomplish. Have you tried Google Chromes latest beta build?

12. jcpb macrumors 6502a

You should have bought a cMBP or MBA instead of the MBPR. Part of being an early adopter is to get hit with problems that don't exist elsewhere and dealing with them.
    You run OS X, right? The entire OS is a huge security risk - it lasts less than an hour in PWN2OWN contests of late. An unpatched Windows XP machine lasts longer than that.

Flash has security issues and performance issues. I still install and use it, as it's in widespread use outside of the iEcosystem. As for "security risks"... use your head.
    So a MBPR is bad because a lot of the software you use are not optimized for it? :rolleyes:
    Even with gfxCardStatus installed on mine, I don't mind it switching to dGPU frequently. If you care about battery life, buy a Lenovo or Sony laptop that can use an optional battery slice.
    Apple claims ~7 hours battery life on the MBPR. Nope. More like ~4 hours.

13. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Because this isn't a GPU issue. The very short (& therefore not entirely accurate) version is 10.8.x does very little work on the GPU with most of the heavy lifting being done by the CPU instead. Same goes for applications with most of the lag reported happening when a single core hits 100% utilisation. In web browsers, for example, the most recent builds of WebKit show big performance improvements over Safari but these changes haven't made it to production yet.

Ultimately it's clear Apple had to make some software compromises to get Retina working properly and, as they are at the front of this particular way of handling hi-def displays, OS X software can have some issues too. There was a decent performance bump from 10.7 to 10.8 and various 10.8 releases have seen further improvements. From the very brief snippets people under NDA are posting about 10.9 I suspect that will be the release that really solves the problem. How they do that specifically we don't know yet but my money would be on a mix of code optimisation and offshoring more work to the GPU.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

This…..BUT there is some….Safari's Reading List started to lag…BUT I don't even bother with Reading List anyway. :apple: