Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xfiring

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2009
Getting an dSLR finally and have only used old school regular SD cards in my SD card slot. I have the first generation of the new 21.5" iMac with a 3.06 C2D processor. In my system profiler it lists as "SD Card Reader"

My question is, will an SDHC card work?

Second question, will an SDXC card work?

Thanks so much.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Unfortunately, my understanding is that the readers in all the late 2009 iMacs will NOT handle SDHC cards (much less SDXC). The newer generation of iMacs from 2010, will handle at least SDHC. It is my understanding that they will not handle SDXC - and worse, it is my understanding that Apple is not ready to get data off from SDXC external readers either! The way I know this, is because I bought a Panasonic DMC-LX5 camera, and also a guide to the camera wherein the author states that Apple does not have a native solution for SDXC cards... the only way he was able to get data from a SDXC card onto a mac, was through the manufacturer of the reader writing their own drivers for mac, and then going through an ExpressCard! In other words, there are very few macs which even have ExpressCards and then you have to get a special reader from a manufacturer who writes their own mac drivers. Of course, in time Apple will get around to fixing this issue (I hope!), and this info is a few months old, so maybe they've already solved it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.