First Gen Air(1,1) SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bunnspecial, Oct 3, 2016.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm shopping for an SSD for my 1,1.

Yes, I know all the jazz about this not being a machine worth dumping money into, etc. It's a computer for my collection, but one that I'd like to at least be halfway usable. It's running Snow Leopard now(and decently), but I think an SSD will likely make a difference in how well it runs. They have certainly perked up a lot of Powerbooks and other low spec computers where I've installed them.

For those unfamiliar, the first and second generation MBA used a 1.8" HDD with a special ZIF ribbon connector-coincidentally the same as the one used in the iPod. In fact, I think the 80gb drive in my Air is the same as the one in my iPod of about the same age.

Because of this, there are at least a decent number of SSDs on the market. Basically, though, it comes down to two options-KingSpec or OWC.

I'm a bit sour on KingSpec SSDs. I installed a 2.5" one in a Powerbook, and the performance was nowhere near what I get using my "home made" SSDs(mSATA SSD in 2.5" 44 pin controllers). It was more expensive and performed poorly.

On the other hand, the OWC drives can be quite pricey and I've heard mixed reviews on them. I trust them better than Kingspec, but it's hard to spend more than I paid for the laptop on a drive :). Admittedly, it wouldn't be the first time I'd done something like that.

I wish that someone made an adapter so I could stick a $50 mSATA in, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Has anyone used any of the commercial options I've mentioned? This won't be a main computer, but at the same time I've come to appreciate the size and I can see it being a light duty travel computer in addition to filling the "Air" hole in my collection. Along those same lines, capacity REALLY isn't an issue although admittedly I'd like 128gb or so.

2. batone macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2016 ---
    I fitted a "Renice" SSD to my 1,1 some years ago and it gave it a new lease of life.
    They are still available if you search.
    64GB Renice X5 Series 1.8-inch PATA ZIF Solid State Disk for PC and Macbook Air Rev.A

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks for the responses.

I was sent a link for a Hong Kong special mSATA adapter, which I'm going to give a try. As I've said, I've had good luck with these in their 44-pin ATA variant, so I'm hopeful for this one.

Now I need to go mSATA shopping while I wait on the adapter to get here from Hong Kong. One of the things I like about going this route is that I get a much better selection of SSDs.

It's just unfortunately that it's still an ATA bus(what were you thinking, Apple, in 2008 on an $1800 laptop?) so doesn't support TRIM.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the responses.

I was sent a link for a Hong Kong special mSATA adapter, which I'm going to give a try. As I've said, I've had good luck with these in their 44-pin ATA variant, so I'm hopeful for this one.

Now I need to go mSATA shopping while I wait on the adapter to get here from Hong Kong. One of the things I like about going this route is that I get a much better selection of SSDs.

It's just unfortunately that it's still an ATA bus(what were you thinking, Apple, in 2008 on an $1800 laptop?) so doesn't support TRIM.

4. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like an interest project. Please update the thread with your observations after you're done.

5. Left4DeadBoy macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

6. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Just to update, the Hong Kong adapter was a no-go. For whatever reason, the ZIF ribbon is just a shade too wide or has some other fault and it would fit/latch into the adapter.

I was really excited about this, as I managed to pickup a 256gb Samsung mSATA for $65. Looks like I'm going to be getting an mSATA->SATA adapter and most likely putting that drive in one of my Macbooks.

I'll also have to bite the bullet and buy a Kingspec if I want an SSD in my Air.

7. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I tried a couple of mSATA adapters, but none would correct.

I ended up just breaking down and buying a Kingspec drive. It was $60 for a 64gb drive-it killed me to pay that much.

It did perk up the system a fair bit, but the performance is pretty underwhelming. Sustained read/write speeds are in the 50mb/s range. I just wish there was a better option, but the only mSATA adapters that I found reports of working were as expensive as the whole Kingspec drives.

In other news, my $20 Ebay special battery gave up the ghost also just outside the 30 day return window. It will no longer take charge. I've ordered a Newertech battery, so at least it should be good to go for a while in that department. I suspect the performance will improve some also with a good battery.

Also, the Samsung SSD I mentioned above did find a good home in my unibody Macbook, where it did make a big difference in speed.