Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdiPlayZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2019
Hi got a question is the first gen Delphi still unreliable on the Late 2005 Power Mac G5 Quad? I got the first gen Delphi LCS and I'm worried it might leaked. My Quad Power Mac G5 is used for editing Youtube videos. I searched around MacRumors about this and someone replied that the first gen Delphi on the Late 2005 Quad PMG5 is more reliable then the dual pump second gen Delphi. Is that true?

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
To answer your LCS cooling issues with the PowerMac G5 Quad. As far as I understand it, neither of the LCS generation liquid cooling were meant to last far longer than a decade and eventually will leak, or the pump will clog due to the collecting debris. Even the supposedly reliable LCS with silicon sealed hoses leaked. I work in the computer recycling facility where we had the Quads of this generation leaked and disassembled for recycling. I had a chance to adopt a Quad for a song, but opted for an air cooled G5 because when it leaks, it gets really messy. However, some people who own the Quad seemed to have no issues with leaking. The Quad is the only PowerMac G5 that is popular to own and still command good prices. If you want to see if your Quad is working ok; check the fan and download iStat Pro for PowerPC. It will show the temperature for all 4 cores. At idle, they should hover around 45-60 degrees celsius. If they get too hot and the fan revs up really fast, then either the pump is clogged or something has leaked and you need to open up the chassis that covers the LCS system to inspect for leaks. Don't touch the liquid with your bare fingers or hand. Wear protective gloves.

Last edited:

AdiPlayZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2019
To answer your LCS cooling issues with the PowerMac G5 Quad. As far as I understand it, neither of the LCS generation liquid cooling were meant to last far longer than a decade and eventually will leak, or the pump will clog due to the collecting debris. Even the supposedly reliable LCS with silicon sealed hoses leaked. I work in the computer recycling facility where we had the Quads of this generation leaked and disassembled for recycling. I had a chance to adopt a Quad for a song, but opted for an air cooled G5 because when it leaks, it gets really messy. However, some people who own the Quad seemed to have no issues with leaking. The Quad is the only PowerMac G5 that is popular to own and still command good prices. If you want to see if your Quad is working ok; check the fan and download iStat Pro for PowerPC. It will show the temperature for all 4 cores. At idle, they should hover around 45-60 degrees celsius. If they get too hot and the fan revs up really fast, then either the pump is clogged or something has leaked and you need to open up the chassis that covers the LCS system to inspect for leaks. Don't touch the liquid with your bare fingers or hand. Wear protective gloves.

Well at idle my PMG5 Quad stays at 44C also is 2000rpm on the 2 cpus intake and exhaust fans normal? My PMG5 stays at 2000rpm at idle with no programs running is it normal? I know it stupid to complain about 2000rpm on the fans but when I got my PMG5 Quad the fans are quiet not as loud but after cleaning the intake and exhaust fans with a brush the fan stays at 2000rpm now. I'm a new mac user this is my first time owning a mac and a powerpc mac.

EDIT: Does that means that the air cooled power mac g5 last the longest?

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Well at idle my PMG5 Quad stays at 44C also is 2000rpm on the 2 cpus intake and exhaust fans normal? My PMG5 stays at 2000rpm at idle with no programs running is it normal? I know it stupid to complain about 2000rpm on the fans but when I got my PMG5 Quad the fans are quiet not as loud but after cleaning the intake and exhaust fans with a brush the fan stays at 2000rpm now. I'm a new mac user this is my first time owning a mac and a powerpc mac.

EDIT: Does that means that the air cooled power mac g5 last the longest?

The normal average fan speed for the PowerMac G5 Quad should be in between 1800-2000 rpm, so yes your Quad fans are working at normal speed. As long as it doesn't get so loud like the 8bit guy's loaned Quad (browse Youtube to hear that loud fan noise), then your Quad is fine. Now, that is a good example of a Quad that is leaking and fan going at full tilt.

Both the Quad G5 (late 2005) are as reliable as the G5 air cooled version, except you have an unknown factor to deal with, that is the liquid in the cooling aren't meant to last forever. At least with my air cooled G5, I can dismantle the CPUs, repaste them and then put them back together and recalibrate the fan. I don't have to deal with the liquid factor and I came to the conclusion that for music work, I don't really need a Quad. And for brute force compute work with 4K video, I have the Mac Pro 5,1 that can deal with that. So that's why I opted to adopt the air cooled G5.

AdiPlayZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2019
The normal average fan speed for the PowerMac G5 Quad should be in between 1800-2000 rpm, so yes your Quad fans are working at normal speed. As long as it doesn't get so loud like the 8bit guy's loaned Quad (browse Youtube to hear that loud fan noise), then your Quad is fine. Now, that is a good example of a Quad that is leaking and fan going at full tilt.

Both the Quad G5 (late 2005) are as reliable as the G5 air cooled version, except you have an unknown factor to deal with, that is the liquid in the cooling aren't meant to last forever. At least with my air cooled G5, I can dismantle the CPUs, repaste them and then put them back together and recalibrate the fan. I don't have to deal with the liquid factor and I came to the conclusion that for music work, I don't really need a Quad. And for brute force compute work with video, I have the Mac Pro 5,1 that can deal with that. So that's why I opted to adopt the air cooled G5.

That Quad that the 8 Bit guy uses leaked you can see liquid marks on the warning label.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
That Quad that the 8 Bit guy uses leaked you can see liquid marks on the warning label.

Yeap it did. Watch your fans RPM. When it starts to creep up to 3600-4000 rpm, then check your LCS before the liquid leaks and shorts out the power supply underneath.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.