First gen iPad user: need some feedback

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Brittanydavie, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Brittanydavie macrumors member

So I bought the first iPad when it came out and I'm definitely in the market for something new. I've gone back and forth forever debating whether I should get a MacBook (retina, pro, air) or just get a new iPad. But if I were to get option 2 I want to know that it's a significant upgrade and will not crap out on me so quickly like the first one. The one I have now is constantly crashing and is SO unbelievably slow. But even with all that, it's the device I use the most and I love, love, love the portability. I should mention that I have an iMac that I use for serious work (I'm a graphic designer) so I really just want something useful that has good performance and muktitasking abilities to browse around on and maybe do some editing when I don't want to use the desktop (which is a lot of the time). Any feedback is appreciated!

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

The new iPad has more memory and a faster CPU/GPU.
    Yes, the first iPad suffered from the less resources build in; the current one is quite good; of course also have to drive more pixel on screen.

Go to an Apple Store nearby and try it ... Also an iPad2 would be already an improvement.

3. Lindsford, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

Lindsford macrumors 6502a

Back the iPad up, set up as new. Restore from back up. Made my 1st gen run much better after doing that. if not I'd recommend the iPad 2 if retina isn't a huge concern

I dont think I'd ever do an iPad and a MacBook Air.
    My dream setup is iPad >> rMBP (2nd gen) >> 27 iMac

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Go and get an iPad 3 bec you already have an iMac at home

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeah if you arent crazy about the retina screen (i love mine) just get the ipad 2. They both run the same speed.

6. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My iPad 3 is much faster and more responsive than my iPad 1. Never had a crash on my iPad 3, my iPad one crashes occasionally when playing some games and becomes very slow when opening some of the enhanced books.

The iPad 3 has a camera and will do FaceTime, and you can dictate using the microphone button on the keyboard.

7. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

Hard to predict the future, but it seems that new iPad will have plenty of horsepower for a while. All reports are that the slightly less powerful iPad2 appears just as fast as the new iPad. I would spring for the new iPad if you do a lot of reading on the iPad. The Retina display makes every other screen I use feel like I don't have my reading glasses on.

BTW, as others have said, I don't have significant problems with my IP1. I gave it to my wife, after restoring, she's quite pleased with it. A little pokey, but still works well. You may want to try restoring first.

8. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

Had the 1st gen iPad. Once the 3rd gen came out I purchased the iPad 2 at a good discount. iPad 2 has been great!

9. ndrosubiyanto macrumors member

You should go for new ipad if you're ipad 1st gen user.

The screen so damn gorgeous :p , everything else just whoozzzz..

10. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

My iPad 1 was grinding to a halt after upgrading to 5.1.1. Then I got the idea to turn off the multitasking gestures. Much better now! Everything is as quick as it should be, the only problem I have is the app store crashing every 2 minutes.

11. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

Yeah, go ahead and get the ipad3. I do not think iDevices have long life cycles so when you buy one, get the most current model. Apple is always improving the operating system software, which ultimately will require more resources and computing power, so eventually the model you own will not run the improved software as efficiently as it does when you buy it.

12. AndreAudi macrumors newbie

Anyone else try this and have it work?