First gen iPhone 16GB... is this a good price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cleanup, Dec 8, 2008.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I'm looking to purchase a 16 gig iPhone tomorrow and I've found one that is apparently in virtually new condition, comes with all original accessories, is presumably unlocked (although I think I can restore and unlock it myself with no problems?)... $400 CAD. That's about $320 USD?Is this a good price? This is a bit of an impulse buy. I never thought I would get an iPhone before but at this price and it's a 16GB means I could sell all my other phones and MP3 players.

Thanks guys!

[Edit] Also, I realize this is a question for the iPhone Hacks forum, but can I run an unlocked first gen on v2.2, or is 2.2 still locked? I know it's been jailbroken. But I'm not sure if software unlock works for anything beyond 2.1. Sorry--haven't really kept up with the iPhone scene. Thanks!

2. jdzialak macrumors regular

3. Cask Guest

Seems like a good price. And yes, 2.2 on 1st gen iPhones has been unlocked.

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

thats a great price

and if you want to unlock 2.2 , you have to make sure you do the right steps
    upgrade to 2.1
    then use pwnagetool to ugrade to 2.2
    what this does is keeps the baseband from being flashed (something that the 2.2 update does) so that it remains in an unlockable form

if it has been upgraded to 2.2 at any other time, in any other way, then you won't be able to unlock

so make sure its not a 2.2 already before you buy

5. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Thanks for the info!

In the ad the seller said that it's running 2.0 right now. I'll be sure to check it when I have a look however.

Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be a new happy iPhone owner! I'm also glad I'm getting an original, not 3G iPhone. I actually like the look of the original better. Am I right in assuming that there's not too many differences besides the lack of 3G, maybe a faster processor, and a slightly brighter screen?

6. that one guy macrumors newbie

Got my 16gb for $120:D

But I'd pay $320 for a 16gb iPhone if I wouldn't have gotten the deal I got.

7. jdzialak macrumors regular

Can you explain what this means?
    I'm just about to buy an unlocked 2.2, figuring 2.2 is the version to get.
    If it was unlocked w/o pwnagetool it will NEVER be able to be updated and unlocked again?
    You don't think someone will crack the next version to be unlocked?

Should I buy a 2.1 version and use pwnagetool, or is 2.1 too high to start out with?
    I was hoping to buy one unlocked already, so i don't screw up the process of unlocking myself.

Most of the unlocked ones mention Cydia in the ads. Is that used to unlock them, or is it just a 3rd party app?

Thanks,

Joe

8. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Alright so I made the purchase. The iPhone is in very good condition (has the teensiest nicks here and there) and from what I could tell was unlocked (he was on my carrier and when I stuck my sim card in it found the network again fine). Right now I haven't used the phone yet because he went ahead and selected something like "Remove All Contacts and Settings" in the Settings program to do some sort of master reset. I didn't get a chance to check the firmware version, but I imagine that what he did (the process of which is taking FOREVER! Nearly two hours now... the progress bar is still slowly going), will not restore the iPhone/remove files, am I correct?

So I need to restore the iPhone to 2.1, then re-unlock it, then use WinPwn to upgrade to 2.2?

Thanks guys.

[Edit] Or can I just use iTunes and QuickPwn to update to 2.2, then unlock 2.2? This goes against the advice I received further up, that updating to 2.2 before unlocking would cause problems?

9. jdzialak macrumors regular

I'm curious, too. I just bought one from a seller who used pwnagetool to unlock the phone. then used itunes to update to 2.2, which left it unlocked, but without Cydia. He then used quickpwn to put Cydia back on.

Although, I've been reading to NOT UPDATE thru itunes when new versions are released.

Joe

10. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

It makes me so freaking mad, when people talk out their asses, and think they are giving the right advice, without really knowing what the hell they are talking about.

If you have the original Iphone, there is no problem, if it is 2.1, then you can simply unlock it, and update it. If it is on 2.2, you can simply unlock it, and then jailbreak it.
    The only phones that shouldn't update to 2.2 are 3G's because the baseband was changed! but if you have the 1g Iphone, there is no problem

By the way, I recommend using Pwnage Tool

11. jdzialak macrumors regular

Thank you for the info.

Joe

12. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Alright. I'll just update to 2.2 and unlock/jailbreak with QuickPwn.

One thing, though. After the master reset the iPhone is attempting to reboot (shows the Apple logo) and occasionally the swirling process thing, which stopped moving. I thought the phone had frozen so I reset it. But right about now it's just doing the same thing.

How long should it take to boot up? Should I just leave it for 10-20 minutes?

[Edit] Yeah, ok. The iPhone won't start. The spinning process icon just stops and then I can't turn the iPhone off, iTunes doesn't recognize it... I can only hard reset it but then of course it boots up again then freezes.

... Help? :(