Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Just wanted to double check as i am looking at upgrading soon, i purchased my first gen 16GB iphone on 03/01/2008 and it is telling me that AT&T can offer me an early iphone upgrade with a new 2-yr contract commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. I may Qualify for a standard iphone upgrade on 09/13/2010. (does not sound right to me)

So the 3GS 32GB im looking at will cost me $499, is this right or should it be $299?

Thanks,

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
That does not sound right to me; you did not purchase a 3G, so you didn't get a subsidized price, so I'd think you'd be eligible for the 3GS at launch day at the discounted price. I think you should call AT&T. Good luck.

moka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
thanks will give them a call, and thanks for the link thats where i got the info from, its the same to what the att website is telling me too.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I have an orginal 8GB and checked today. Since I never bought a subsidized model (3g) I can buy a new 32GB for 299. Should be that way for anybody who bought the first gen and didn't upgrade to 3G.

moka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
well here is the deal, they where not able to give me any information at this time as they had none regarding my issue. i would have to call back in a later time.

I had replaced my phone in January of this year because it had battery issues, i used to have a go phone account since then, because when i signed up i was given a Go Phone account which i was fine with. But i was not able to transfer the Go Phone Accounts phone number to the replacement first gen iphone (AT&T) Fault.

So i had to create a new account under the replaceable phone and i was eligible for a postpaid account so i went with it, i also asked the store clerk if i would be fine if i wanted to upgrade under a subsidized price later on and they confirmed (although i didn't trust them one bit). At the same day i was able to get in contact with an AT&T supervisor that told me she put a note in my account that i would not have to pay the ETF fee if i ever wanted to cancel the contract because of the issues i went through with them. I got all her credentials to be safe in the future.

Anyways, i told the support lady that it would make sense no matter what the situation is that i would be able to upgrade my phone and pay the subsidized price because i purchased the first gen iPhone full price, but apparently its not possible at this time because of there limited information (and might not be possible at all), and the ETF fee that i would not have to pay was apparently miss information.

im just going to wait a couple days and give them another call or go to the same AT&T store i went through when i had the problem...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.