First Gen iPhone not receiving calls after 3.0 update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rhaleuk, Jun 17, 2009.

1. rhaleuk macrumors member

As title says, I'm in the UK, on o2, Simplicity Tariff. Everything is working great, text, data, push, wifi etc. But when anybody tries to call me it goes straight to voicemail.

Any suggestions would be massively appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

3. yagrax macrumors regular

In US with AT&T iPhone original (2G) - I just called myself from my office desk phone after 3.0 upgrade and am receiving calls just fine, so it's probably carrier rather than software or iPhone model. Good luck. You upgrading to 3GS ? I'm upgrading friday and saying a sad goodbye to the iPhone original (screen is scratched, power button is broken now) I've had since 2 weeks after initial iPhone launch many moons ago... ;-(

4. ryanw183 macrumors newbie

ryanw183

Since you have an EDGE only phone, and have push notification on apps on, then it is constantly using a data connection. And EDGE does not support data and voice at the same time unfortunately

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Push would not block your phone from being a phone. Come on man... use your head. Push doesn't keep an open network connection constantly.

If that were true then how come push email works fine on an first gen iPhone?

6. ryanw183 macrumors newbie

ryanw183

I was going off of this article originally. But since I've read it they updated it saying it doesn't affect everyone. So I don't know what's going on really :confused:

7. patfin581 macrumors newbie

Exact same problem

i am also using a first gen. iphone along with an O2 simplicity tariff, and ever since updating to 3.0 almost all of my text messages are about 5 hours late + i rarely receive any calls (even when ringing the phone myself). However once i put my sim card into another phone, it works fine.

maybe apple just really want us to upgrade??

8. Mueslimonster macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issues you are experiencing except I'm on Vodafone in Germany.

Apart from the fact that incoming calls only seem to get through in 50% of all cases, I also saw abysmal battery life, unresponsive UI and a really hot back.

Is your phone unlocked by software?

This is what I have done so far:

2x ran Pwnage

1x restored to original 3.0 and unlocked using redsnow - this fixed things somewhat.

Yesterday I turned off Push for email and installed mobile substrate via cydia. I recharged the Phone inside the dock, and ever since it has been running like a champ. Snappy interface, no heating up, good battery life (I could actually watch it dropping beforehand)...so far so good.

I will do some further testing, especially with regards to incoming calls, but so far I haven't had a missed call ever since doing the modifications mentioned above.

RG Tim

9. patfin581 macrumors newbie

Also

The battery life on mine has also decreased alot since upgrading.
    The wierd thing is tht i had my iphone upgraded to 3.0 about a month ago as a friend of mine is a developer, but recently expierd before th upgrade was fully available; and i had none of these problems whilst running th dev. version of 3.0.

10. ihackit macrumors newbie

Similar issue

I'm on iPhone 3G OS 3.0 jailbroken with redsn0w & official UK O2 carrier

After upgrading to 3.0 and jailbreaking using redsn0w my phone receives only 50% of calls (the rest go straight to answerphone), texts arrive hours late, battery doesn't last as long as previous OS and phone back becomes hot with continued usage.

I have tried turning off Push, reset network settings, updating Mobile Substrate, uninstalling some addons such as imobilecinema and SBsettings and then rebooting my phone.

None of my actions have made a difference to the issues mentioned. I'm looking for a solution that does not require me to un-jailbreak my phone.

Regards

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

My first Gen phone had no problem with 3.0

12. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Same here, no problems, I am a UK O2 Simplicity user.

I'd suggest do a DFU restore to 3.0, to make sure it's all clean, and see if the problem persists.

13. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

For the record, on ATT in US, 3.0 works just fine. No problem at all. And it's a great free upgrade!

14. ihackit macrumors newbie

were these jailbroken?

Thanks, but none of the replies mentioned whether these iPhones were jailbroken and with what application.

I'm trying to establish whether this can specifically attributed to redsn0w (I used vers. 0.7.2) or if other jailbreak apps have the same effect. That is I have assumed that redsn0w is the cause of my issues, but would like to keep my phone jailbroken.

Also I want to avoid using Quickpwn as I don't want to unlock the phone, merely jailbreak.

I will do a full restore to official 3.0, wait a couple of days, and then re-jailbreak (using redsn0w 0.8.0) and report if this sheds any light on this issue.

Any feedback from jailbroken people with this issue would be appreciated.