First-gen iPhone or new iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shrakner, Sep 28, 2008.

1. shrakner macrumors member

Right now I'm considering two options: a new, 32 GB iPod Touch or a used, 16 GB iPhone (first gen) from eBay, each of which will cost $400. I've read other posts comparing the iPhone vs. iPod Touch, but it's always been between the same generation devices.

If I get the iPhone, I will be using it with T-Mobile prepaid, no data plan.

My priorities in this decision are (most to least important):
    music, games, video player, mini internet computer, camera, phone

As far as I know, these are the benefits of each:

used GSM iPhone:
    phone (carry around one device instead of SLVR + Touch)
    camera (my SLVR has a < 1 MP camera, and I do use it from time to time)
    bluetooth (probably not useful for me)
    vibration unit (for games)

new 2nd gen Touch:
    double storage space of iPhone (32 vs 16 GB)
    full warranty
    new battery

Is there anything else I should be concerned about? I'm not sure what the difference in battery life is between the two, but I think it's lessened if you're not using the data connection (on the iPhone). I suppose another, longer-term battery concern is that the new iPod Touch is supposedly much easier to replace the battery in a couple years than the first gen iPhone/Touch.

Just hoping for input on any other factors I may not be aware of, and possibly reports from people who have made similar decisions.

.... Of course, if anyone knows of an alternative device I should consider, I'll look into it. :)

Thanks!

2. madfresh macrumors regular

I'd go with the iPhone. It's basically an all-in-one device. It's better than carrying around a phone and an iPod touch. And unlike the touch, you'll always have a connection the internet.

3. pkagel macrumors regular

I have a 1st gen Touch and a 3G iPhone. I'd recommend getting the phone as long as you are good with half the memory. You'll gain a cam and an external speaker which the 1st gen Touch doesn't have.

4. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

i had a touch before i got my iphone. i found it to be a huge iphone tease. so i sold it and bought the real thing.

5. shrakner thread starter macrumors member

Just so people realize- if I do get a used iPhone, I won't be paying for a data connection- and the alternative is the 2nd gen Touch, not the first.

Has anyone compared the external speaker on the 2nd gen Touch vs. the iPhone?

Also, would there be any real difference in battery life between the two?

Thanks!

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Definitely the iPhone, much more capabilities. The 2G touch is cool and all, but the phone has that and much more. Remember, 16GB is is a lot of space. But if you want "newer" then the iPod is your choice. But functionality-wise, the iPhone trumps the touch.

8. shrakner thread starter macrumors member

I have a SLVR L6, which still serves me well, so the phone is not necessary. But I have heard repeatedly that the iPhone is a very good phone in and of itself... that, and I do find that having a camera handy at all times is useful, and the iPhone would give me a better one.

I suppose my last remaining concern is the battery....

9. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

One thing I'd consider is that the 2G iPod touch's battery is not soldered in, unlike the battery of the original iPhone. While replacing the battery of either device wouldn't be be easy, once you got at the battery, the new touch's replacement would be much easier.

10. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

iPhone definitely, just because it will give you more options in the future, (even though its the older product). I know you won't use the data, but in case you need it, its at least available. The speakers on both are probably comparable in loudness and quality, so thats a non-issue. The phone quality on the first iPhone is about the same as a 2-3 year old phone from most other manufacturers, so not great, but not a step down from what you're used to.

Unless you have a vast music collection, 16gb is still plenty, even if it's not everything (it's not like you can listen to it all at once anyway).

The major plus for the Touch is the battery life, while the major plus for the iPhone is durability and the fact you won't need to baby it to keep it looking ok.

11. shrakner thread starter macrumors member

Well, I was able to snag a 1 month old, first-gen iPhone off eBay for $420, shipped. :cool:

In the end, I decided the extra features were worth it, though the lack of applecare is making me a little uneasy.

But what's this about the iPhone being more durable than the Touch? This sounds new.

12. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

Congratulations. I'd love to get that deal on an original iPhone. The original iPhone's anodized (?) aluminum back and matte black plastic make it much less susceptible to scratches and general wear than the new or the old iPod touch.

13. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

exactly! ;)

14. burningbright macrumors regular

I'd say go for the touch. The tech for all the things the iphone does is there; the battery life is not. If you're going to be listening to music for, say, a couple of hours a day and browsing then the battery might not last you the day. You don't want to be missing calls because you were listening to music earlier... Also, you probably either already own a camera-phone or can acquire one very cheaply. It's not too much of a burden to carry an extra 100g in your pocket, is it? Lastly, in the possible but not particularly likely event that Apple ever turns on full bluetooth in the 2G touch you could presumably tether it to your phone for net access.

I reckon Apple should have put a back-up battery only usable for phone calls in the iPhone rather than indulge their 'lets make it *even* thinner!!!!!' obsession. The battery life hobbles it.

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Bit late the iphone's already been bought

16. shrakner thread starter macrumors member

Isn't that just a myth now? I thought the bluetooth rumor had been debunked.

I think that's one of the reasons the iPhone is a bit thicker than the Touch is to accommodate a larger battery, since it does draw more power. But if I turn off EDGE and bluetooth, and turn off Wifi when I'm not using it, won't that make the battery life comparable to the Touch?

And I am used to using a Sansa c130, which had a CLAIMED battery life of 18 hours per AAA battery. :rolleyes:

17. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Well, the original iPhone's music battery life was rated by Apple to be 16 hours, whereas the touch is rated for 36 hours. Bear in mind, that its unlikely you'll get either in normal use, but, even with everything off, the iPhone is likely to have a shorter battery life than the touch would have had. It just means that you'll need to recharge it every 2 days probably, if you use it averagely with mostly music and some calls every now and then.

18. burningbright macrumors regular

Oops, I'm an inattentive idiot. Have fun with the iPhone Shrakner- you got a great price for it. I'm sure that if in practice you do find any problems with battery life you could use the iPhone for data and intercept a slightly old phone otherwise destined for a drawer or a landfill to carry around with you too!

Not certain what's the latest on the bluetooth. Last I heard it was a proper bluetooth chip that could potentially be unlocked by a firmware update? Anyway, presumably it would take Apple a while to change their mind about limiting the chip if they ever do, so it's probably not worth pondering too much!:)