First Gen Mac Mini wont boot off of DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FreeState, Oct 28, 2007.

1. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I put the disk into the Mac Mini, click install, put in the password and hit restart, the computer restarts and comes up with the gray screen and the loading circle. Thats as far as I can get. I have left it there for over 20 minutes and it just stays on the gray screen with the turning circle.

I have tried fixing permissions, hardware check etc. I have wired mouse and apple keyboard on it as well.

Any ideas?

(I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem, even on the Apple help forums, which currently is so full of whiners its as about as helpful as a two year old.)

2. PaThKu macrumors member

Leopard needs 512MB of RAM. I know my Mini lacks that, whats your RAM?

3. FreeState thread starter macrumors 68000

FreeState

Okay LOL - don't know how I missed that... just assumed it had it... guess I will have to get some more:) Thanks....

ANy recommendations? I Think Im going to change out the hard drive at the same time (Its only 80 gigs).

4. PaThKu macrumors member

Ha, no problem. I had to double check the req. too after my Mini stopped installing! As for the HD upgrade, how much do you think you'll need, and what do you store/do on your Mini?

5. FreeState thread starter macrumors 68000

FreeState

I use the Mini mostly as a server for iTunes and iPhoto (its connected via ethernet to an Airport Extreme to access via AppleTV). I currently have 3 external hard drives connected to it - one 750 GIG, and two 500 Gig drives (one is going to be used for Time machine - two partitions for a MacBook and a PowerBook).

Im thinking if I get a 160 GIG HD it might speed up the system a bit - but that might not really be that much of a speed improvement.

6. relimw macrumors 6502a

DOH!

This happened to me too, I only use the mini for extra storage and phonevalet.... Grrr, the installer should check for the minimum specs before it sets the DVD to install.

7. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Performance with the new WD 250GB drives are said to be very good. Tough only a 5400RPM drive, the high density results in a notable improvement in performance. Even better - it is available in both SATA and IDE formats...

I've got Leopard on a G4 Mini (1GB memory). Runs good - even though it is only a 4200RPM drive. Been thinking about an upgrade (would love to play with a SSD).