Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Sorry its taken me a little while to update people.

I rang Apple and all they said was to take it to a store. So i managed to get an appointment yesterday. Showed the guy and he was shocked! Said it was unacceptable that this had happened. He went and took the case and came back explained the battery was broken and that he had a new one and should he swap it out for me for free. I said yes and 10 mins later it was all fixed!

He said he would run through it to show it was still working and we found that the wireless was broken (wouldnt connect to anything) and also the screen had lots of vertical dark lines where it looked like parts of it werent being lit.

He said to leave it with him and he would get it 100% checked today and would fix it all back to working 100%. Couldnt be happier!!!

I will report back when its back in my hands :)

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Don't want to rain on your parade, but I'm pretty sure you could be. :D

Glad it's being sorted.

Ok true. I would be happier if they gave me a new one :)

I am ringing them later today to find out an update on what is broken.

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
Good that they were so understanding - surprised they were willing to replace all the bits rather than offer a refurb model - perhaps that shows just how cheap the components are to them...

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Good that they were so understanding - surprised they were willing to replace all the bits rather than offer a refurb model - perhaps that shows just how cheap the components are to them...

Yea they must be. I will let you know what they are replacing after i have spoke to them tonight.

I am worried the trackpad might be a little funny as of where it bulged up.

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
Yea they must be. I will let you know what they are replacing after i have spoke to them tonight.

I am worried the trackpad might be a little funny as of where it bulged up.

Wouldn't be surprised if they keep replacing bits, and eventually give up as it looks like about the only salvageable bits are the logic board and the HDD!

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Wouldn't be surprised if they keep replacing bits, and eventually give up as it looks like about the only salvageable bits are the logic board and the HDD!

I hope they swap it out for a new one. Wouldnt mind a new 11 inch! :rolleyes:

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
I hope they swap it out for a new one. Wouldnt mind a new 11 inch! :rolleyes:
That's what she said :D

(Sorry, that was totally unnecessary, but I couldn't resist... Good to see Apple's customer service performing well though. I've only ever had good service when I've had to take something to the genius bar).

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
That's what she said :D

(Sorry, that was totally unnecessary, but I couldn't resist... Good to see Apple's customer service performing well though. I've only ever had good service when I've had to take something to the genius bar).

lol i fell into that one!

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Whether in-warranty, or not, I have found that any issue such as this with the battery or power adapter is a "hot button" with Apple (and probably other laptop makers as well). Anything that results in fire, corrosion, or explosion in a portable computer generates an enormous amount of press coverage which they really don't want!:rolleyes:

Within my family I have had several instances of bulging batteries and damaged power connectors which sparked or smoked. Apple has always quickly taken care of the problem even though they were out of the warranty period. I have always received great customer service from Apple!:cool:

-howard

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
While that sucks your laptop asploded - it could have been FAR WORSE. You were very lucky, it looks like the pack vent failed or plugged up, and it physically just popped from overpressure.

Had that caught fire - or experienced my variant of explosion - you'd be less concerned with the laptop, and more concerned with your lack of home.

High energy density batteries are awesome - but as densities go up, the dangers are usually in tow...

Poisoned1

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Good it all got sorted out. But, you gotta admit that those pics of what happened to your laptop are pretty cool lol

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Spoke to Apple. They said they are replacing the display, log board and airport/bluetooth card. So basically everything lol should have parts tomorrow hopefully!

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Good stuff!

Basically a new laptop, not bad as you said it was a couple of years old.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
I will report back after i speak to them tonight on over the phone!

I dont think they will want to replace a 3 year old laptop with a brand new 2011 model, but hey we can try!

Apple replaced my 2008 MacBook Pro with a brand new 2010 model last year because of a defective audio card that they tried to fix 3 times, as well as a trackpad issue and defective video card. I DID have AppleCare and they just took my old MBP back and handed me a new in box model.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Kind of makes me wonder how often this
happens, if apple was so quick to fix it? :apple:

I think they just happened to have a spare battery in stock so was easy to fix. They dont have the other parts that needed doing so having to wait for them.

Apple replaced my 2008 MacBook Pro with a brand new 2010 model last year because of a defective audio card that they tried to fix 3 times, as well as a trackpad issue and defective video card. I DID have AppleCare and they just took my old MBP back and handed me a new in box model.

That is great news! Yea i didnt have Apple care on this on - do on my MacBook Pro as i got it as a student so got it for £50 instead of £200 odd. This Air has already gone in once or twice before because of heat issues and the laptop freezing so hopefully its close to being replaced!

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Got my Air back today. Working loving!

Checked the receipt that came with it to show the work etc and it would of cost me just under £500 for all the work they did! Its £300 just for the screen!

Very happy :)

JuMpMaN6235

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2006
Sorry for reviving this thread... but I had this happen to my macbook air also.

Last week i went to the nearest Apple store.
Him: its out of warranty, i have to pay $280...
Me: no way im paying that
him: ok let me take a look at it (he takes it in the back)
He comes back and shows me he put a new battery in it and says look the case doesnt need to be replaced because it went back to normal. We charge $129 for new battery.
I keep saying i shouldnt have to pay that its a manufacturer defect, blah blah.. He will not budge, Keeps telling me i have to pay. I finally said, look all i have is $85 in my pocket....he goes, ummm let me talk to my boss... comes back and says its ok.

Now im reading you guys got it replaced for free? How should i contact apple?

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
So, you already paid the 85 and got it fixed? Call Apple and explain the battery issue, but don't expect much since you already agreed that 85 was ok to fix it.

JuMpMaN6235

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2006
yep, stupid me paid the $85 already.
I was just waiting there for almost 2 HOURS!! and was frustrated and just wanted to get it over with.
I will see if calling apple will help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.