First gen Macbook (retina)...worth fixing?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by linkgx1, May 29, 2018.

1. linkgx1 macrumors 68000

So I got my mom a 2015 (I think) Macbook when it was on sale March of 2016. She's shattered the display. Now she doesn't want to pay the $500 to fix it. Now I'm thinking about using the Macbook (don't have a personal one just a work one) for programming, app devleopment/ web design.

Would it be worth fixing the display at this point? I can do everything else on it if it's hooked up to a display.

2. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Are you OK with the speed and the keyboard? Which CPU?

I really didn't like the keyboard and the 2015 entry level's CPU isn't very fast. Fine for light surfing and email but when I was playing with one it felt a big sluggish at times. (The 2017 m3 feels noticeably faster.)

If you know it will be completely fixed for $500, then I'd probably do it, although if I were a web/app designer I'm not sure I'd want to use that full time.

3. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

How is the battery? You can't fix that yourself and might cost you at least another $200 soon.

4. robvas macrumors 68030

5. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

6. FilmIndustryGuy macrumors regular

plug it up to a 4k monitor and bluetooth a quality keyboard to it. wait until the 2018 macbook comes out and buy a 2017 used at a discount