First Gen MBA and Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Capt. Morgan, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Capt. Morgan macrumors member

Has anyone with a first generation MBA upgraded to Lion?

How is it working out? Best to stick to Snow Leopard?

2. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

i'd like to know this as well. does the MBA have any hiccups in operation with lion?

3. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

I haven't heard of anyone trying it, but it struggled with SL sometimes so I doubt Lion does any better.

4. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

can you elaborate on 'struggle with snow leopard'? i'm thinking about getting a 2010 mba 4gb ram and want to know if it will run snow leopard/lion OK.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The first MacBook air was from 2008. I don't think you'll have any issues on a machine that shipped with Snow Leopard in the first place.

6. Capt. Morgan thread starter macrumors member

I have the original model with 4 gb RAM and it seems to be fine with Snow Leopard.

7. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

the original being 2010 or 2008? I want to pickup a used 2010 model =/

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The original is 2008. It was 13" had pretty bad specs and cost $1799. You won't have a problem with the 2010 model, trust me.

9. riveting macrumors 6502

I am debating whether to buy an SSD for my first generation MBA or upgrade to 2011 air ($$$ because the resale value of original MBA is quite bad). Any insight on how much an 64G Renice SSD changes the experience of original MBA?

PS: SL is fine on my original MBA, it is a bit slow at times but that is to be expected on the original 4200rpm HD.

10. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I'd say sell the Air and get a latest gen one. Better performance (even if you update to a better HD) and plus you have the option of now getting 4GB of RAM. Your original MBA will always be stuck at 2GB.

Plus, battery wear. Eventually your old Air will stop holding as good of a charge, and if its already 3 years old that may be soon.

I watched some eBay auctions lately since I was getting my MBA on eBay and I noticed some original ones still going for around $600-$700.

Sure, compared to the original price of $1799 thats insanely bad resale value for a mac product, but that still gets you 50% to 60% of the way to a new Air.

And if you are going to dump several hundred bucks into an SSD drive, thats money wasted because your resale value won't go up that much. You probably won't get your investment back.

11. GeekGuys macrumors regular

I've done it.... no problems so far

I've got a Rev A MBA 13" 80GB 1.6Ghz 2GB RAM and it came pre-installed with Leopard. SL was introduced on the Rev B models I think.

I upgraded (actually, clean install) to Lion about 2 weeks ago. I have to say it is a minor miracle in terms of difference.

I did a clean install from USB and it worked without fault. I have had no issues and the UI is much nicer, cleaner and more responsive. Apps open quicker than they did before (I have the same apps installed as before and it was never used to download anything).

Boot up is quicker (approx. 65 seconds from cold), wireless is significantly faster, and all apps works as before. The only thing I have noticed is it runs slightly hotter than under Leopard. I don't see any difference in fan speeds but the bottom is hotter. Battery life is also slightly reduced (I averaged 4:45hrs over the past 45 months..... in the last two weeks, I average 4hrs).

Was it worth it? I would say a big yes. Vast improvement over Leopard. I have never run SL so I can't say if that is much different.

Hope this helps.

12. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I have a Rev B MBA which I upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard. Surprisingly enough, it actually feels faster than it did under SL. Where previously I was getting a bit frustrated at the multiple hangs, lock-ups and slowdowns, Lion has been fantastic. The animations aren't quite as smooth as with the 2011 MBA i7, but I'm glad I upgraded the Rev. B.

13. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

That does help, thank you. How many cycles is your battery at? Almost 5 hours of battery life for 45 mths is just impressive on an air

14. msoravia macrumors newbie

I have a 1st gen Air, (os upgraded from leopard to sl, and from sl to lion) and let me say i'm not that impressed.
    I don't know whether it's because when my runcore ssd failed i had to restore the old crappy hdd but it's a pain in the neck.... Slower except for safari (but again, it may just be an impression, i was used to the ssd) and way hotter. Oh, and the battery life seems to be much shorter... :(