First gen MBP not doing well with SL.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by findnemo, Aug 28, 2009.

1. findnemo macrumors regular

Just installed SL this morning from Tiger and the problems just keep coming. Numerous crashes with systems preference and now serious heat issues.

If I use stacks for 10 seconds the temperature will increase from 55C to nearly 70C.........I used to be able to play WoW under tiger for hours at a time so I don't get why using stacks spikes me so much.

This is on a Ati X1600, so I'm going to think twice before installing SL into my integrated graphics white MB.......

Now the heat has gone from heat to whenever it reaches 76-77C the wifi just completely drops out. I am using the newer extreme wifi card so it's been amazing with tiger but with SL it's a mess.

I'm guessing the heat just kills the card, I've got to admit I've never hit 76+C on Tiger so I don't know if it's entirely SL's fault.

This is a huge problem since I play WoW and if the Wifi drops in the middle of something.......sigh I'm so disappointed.

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Sorry to hear of your woes. :(

I just put SL on my First Gen MBP (see signature) with the same graphics card and it's working like a charm... :confused:

3. findnemo thread starter macrumors regular

Can you try to stack the application folder and just scroll up and down for like 10 seconds and see if you start to heat up? Because whenever I do that it seams like my CPU is running at 150% and I heat up like crazy.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Mine in currently ripping a movie so it is already at 70. I don't think that's hot, it's just working. When I stacked the apps there was no increase from 70. :)

5. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

You're not alone.

I have a 2009 17" Unibody MBP and with 9% CPU load, I am running at 70C.

All I have is Safari open. WTF!!

6. adamjackson macrumors 65816

top of the line MacBook Air. maxed out CPU.

Looks like Firefox is at fault. disabled all add-ons and reinstalled Firefox. still sucks. IDK the fan is now on constantly and the body is steaming hot.

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I also have a first gen MBP, but it's working like a charm. I did a clean install though, so perhaps that made a difference.

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

No idea what to tell you...perhaps 10.6.1 will resolve some of these issues? Can you go back to Tiger?