First gen MBP, should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nph, Nov 16, 2008.

  1. nph macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2005
    #1
    I have the first gen 1.83 MBP.
    Don't like:
    -Heat (cant use in lap even if I am just using Safari)
    -Lousy wifi reception
    -Poor battery life (never get more than 3 hours max of websurfing via wifi)
    -Max RAM of 2GB (When I want to run WMWare w Vista)

    I would expect a good speed bump regardless if I go with new MB or last gen MBP,correct?

    Given the great price of last gen MBP would you say it takes care of most my issues or would a new MB be better?

    Interested to hear from anyone that upgraded from my machine to any of the two above!

    Thanks
     
  2. amoda macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    #2
    The MB and MBP will offer you significant performance increases. Not only are you going from 1.83Ghz to 2.4Ghz (base model) you'd also be going from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo.

    About wether you should get the MB or MBP it depends on your use. On things that don't depend on the GPU (music, web surfing, photo editing, msn, word/excel/powerpoint, etc) there will be virtually no difference between the MB and MBP.

    The only reason to go the MBP route is if:

    A) You do graphic intensive stuff that the new MB's graphic card can't handle.
    B) If you want a 15" screen.

    Oh, and I upgraded from 1.83CD to a 2.2C2D and the performance boost was significant for me. I had to spend an extra $300 to upgrade but it was more than worth it. Everything ran faster and while it wasn't problem free it did get rid of several of the problems i had with the first one. It had enough problems that they upgraded me for free to a 2.6, and are now replacing the machine entirely with one of the new models, but it was still worth it. The time that it ran, it ran well.
     
  3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

    Koodauw

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Madison
    #3
    I would say it is time to consider an upgrade. I made a similar move and was pleasantly surprised at the increase.
     
  4. bunit macrumors regular

    bunit

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2007
    Location:
    Westerly RI
    #4
    I also have a 1.83 MBP and was thinking of getting a new MB or a refurb MBP. I am leaning more towards upgrading my hard drive on my current MBP cause I have had such good luck with this computer. This will give me time to save and decide what I really want to do.:apple:
     
  5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

    Benjamindaines

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2005
    Location:
    A religiously oppressed state
    #5
    I would say buy a MacBook Pro when Snow Leopard comes out.
     
  6. kvasir macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #6
    I too, have a 1.83 MBP that I just upgraded to a 320gb 7200rpm drive. I agree it gets HOT. I figure that we'll see a new iLife and Snow Leopard soon. I'm waiting for the Core i7 processors at year's end next year. Then I'm upgrading. Depends on what you're using it for I suppose.

    I do however, HATE the 2GB limit. It's driving me nuts lately.
     

Share This Page