First gen uMBP Battery - Will they be available long?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sclough, Jun 10, 2009.

1. sclough macrumors regular

Is the battery in the first gen uMBP 15" unique to that model or also shared with the 13"? I'm looking at the prices on the first-gen that are dropping fast, but I'm also thinking about keeping the machine 5-6 years and I'm wondering if 3 or 4 years from now you'll even be able to get decent replacement batteries for these since the model run was so short.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the fact that you can still buy a G4 PowerBook battery on apple.com I wouldn't worry about when apple will stop producing/selling batteries for the unibody MBPs

3. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Yeah don't worry about it. As the above poster said, you can still get Powerbook batteries from Apple! :)

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

Right no problem.

And if Apple stops selling them there will be a lot of Chinese dudes on Ebay selling them a lot cheaper.

5. sclough thread starter macrumors regular

Well, the Powerbook G4's had a much longer product run than the unibody and there are a lot more of them out there. You're probably right though, I suppose Apple will support them for a while. It just feels now like the unibody from October, even though it's still a great machine, was a revision 1 product and that the current one will have a longer life span. Of course, seeing as it's technology what's a "long lifespan" anyway, right?

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I bought my 15" uMBP in May 09 - and am very happy with the decision - I do not fear battery availability to be an issue as long as I own it.

Assuming the internal non-user changeable battery works out.

If problems crop up with that battery, you may see an upgrade in the future to a replaceable battery. I hope not, we are about to buy at least one, and possibly two new Apple notebooks. ( 13" MBP )