First Gen UMBP freezing in the worst way!!!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LemmycautioN, Nov 3, 2009.

1. LemmycautioN macrumors member

I have a first gen 15 inch UMBP 2.8, 4GB RAM, 250 7200 hitachi.

So for the last week my mbp has been freezing completely, not hanging, no spinning wheel, just complete and total freezing. THe only thing that remedies it is a hard restart. If there's music or audio playing then it will loop until I restart. There are no console messages and there never are, just launch (1) and nothing for several minutes before that. I ran all of the techtool diagnostics and repairs, I defragged the drive, surface scans, smart checks, I verified and repaired the disk with the disk utility. None of these things helped so I ran the apple hardware test. I ran the hardware test (the extended version) 6 times and it came up fine each time. It just froze again so I decided to post this to see if any of you have any ideas before I bring it to the apple store.

Also, I updated to Snow Leopard a couple of months ago and I'm up to date on software updates.

Anybody have any ideas about what could be causing this?

2. exsanguinate macrumors member

You may have done this already, but try resetting the PRAM. It solved my freezing problem, although it was less severe than yours.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For giggles, I'd also reset the SMC, if resetting the PRAM failed to correct the issue.

4. LemmycautioN thread starter macrumors member

So I reset the PRAM and the SMC. The freezing still occurs but so far, out of the dozens of times it's frozen, it only happens when I'm using the better GPU and only when I'm running Fulltiltpoker. The hardware test was normal, any ideas?

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Maybe time for a genius diagnostic check if nothing is showing up in the logs