First Generation aluminum Macbook for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macswitcha2, Oct 12, 2009.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I am still under apple care and was wondering if apple will give me a aluminum MBP since they discontinued the one I have and I feel like I was robbed since soon after they added firewire.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No.

Just no. Never. AppleCare doesn't even have anything to do with it - that's for manufacturing defects, it's not some tool or buzzword to just throw around in regards to getting a replacement machine. If your machine did have a problem then they'd just fix it or give you one of the same model anyway - they won't just upgrade you to the 13" MBP just because it's the "new model".

You made the choice to buy a machine without firewire - if it was that crucial for you then you would have bought a model that did have it or would have gone with a different manufacturer altogether. In the end, you are the one that bought THAT particular computer when you had other choices - Apple owes you nothing. Your mistake.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Wow, the above comment sounds harsh. It's completely true, though.

If your machine had a manufacturing defect and something broke, you could take it in under applecare. Apple could fix it or replace it at their convenience. The rule I've heard stated before is that if the machine has the same repair three times within the applecare period, they'll replace it. They'll sometimes replace it for a really big repair, but that's at apple's discretion.

As for what they'd replace it with, that's also up to apple. Generally, they'll replace it with the same or higher model of the system you've already got. Apple does have the option, at their convenience, not yours, of replacing it with a newer model.

If your macbook has a legitimate problem that you cannot deal with (for instance the god awful contrasts and viewing angle of the original late '08 9c89 lcds), take it into the apple store. If it doesn't, sell it on CL and take the hit to buy a new one, or use your old one until it no longer does what you want it to do. Yeah, the better screens, improved battery, firewire, sd slot and ability to take 8 gigs of ram at a lower price point eight months after the umb's first came out was a bit of a knee to the groin, but technology eventually punks us all.

4. anton. macrumors newbie

Hey, my macbook unibody has the 9c89 lcd and with my one year coverage almost ending, im probably going to buy applecare. I just wanted to know what apple would do for me in this situation?

Thanks.

5. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Honestly I don't think anyone can tell you. I agree with the above posters. I had a 2.4 unibody macbook, I just ebayed it and bought a 2.26ghz umbp. I am disappointed by how dim the screen is comparatively, and I did end up taking about 100$ loss, but hey it got me a new machine with 1 more year of coverage + 1 year from amex, without buying apple care.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Does your screen suck? Poor contrast is the easiest thing to prove. Get a dvd with a black and white movie and play it on your system. If you can't differentiate dark colors on the DVD, take it to the genius bar and play the movie for them.

I used the apple oct 2008 focus on notebooks event to prove my point. Steve's black turtleneck was indistinguishable from the black background on my 9c89 macbook. He was, to quote from Scrubs, 'floating head' CEO. The genius agreed with my point and swapped out the macbook-twice!

If your screen is as bad as mine was, go in and-politely-raise hell. Apple shouldn't have put that garbage component in a $1300+ notebook. When a friend opens his $300 dell netbook and his screen punks yours, you know Cupertino punked you.

If your screen isn't as bad as mine was (and you can plainly watch a film noir without any problems) then either sell it for a loss and buy a new one, or simply suck it up. If you do keep it, make danged sure you get applecare for it.

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I have the 9C89 also.. I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. I do a lot of graphic design and photography and have never had a problem.
    I see a lot of people bitch about the 9C89.. Are ALL 9C89's supposed to be bad?? Like I sAid mine seems fine!?

And to the OP looking to get a Pro from AppleCare, come on now. That's just silly. As someone else mentioned, you bought a computer with out FireWire. If you needed FireWire, well you knowingly bought the wrong computer. No ones fault buy your own.