iPad mini First Generation iPad mini and iOS 8

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yebubbleman, Jun 1, 2014.

?

Will the first generation iPad mini be supported for iOS 8

Poll closed Jun 2, 2014.
  1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Given that it's likely that the iPad 2 will not have iOS 8 support, do we think that the first generation iPad mini (being similar in both processor and screen resolution) will get it?

On the one hand, it's still being sold, and it's possible that Apple will base the cut-off on things that don't have as much to do with the CPU/RAM amount (such as cameras, microphones/audio system, or other things)

But on the other, iOS 7 runs sluggishly on it, and if they cut support for the iPad 2 and not the first generation iPad mini, it won't have been due to computing resources.

So with only 13 hours on the clock, what say you?

2. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

I say it would be a dick move to remove support for the iPad 2 and leave the OG Mini, but then again it wouldn't be good to remove the Mini from support either.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a hobbled version of iOS 8 for both the 2 and the Mini just to save face.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I was about to say no, that the iPad Mini will not get iOS 8 but then I realized they still sell it. So yes, I think that the original iPad Mini will get some sort of iOS 8, but probably very watered down like iOS 7 and iPhone 4.

I am certain the iPad 2 will not get iOS 8 because they stopped selling it this year and brought back the iPad 4. The iPad 2 has been completely phased out and will probably only get small iOS 7 updates for security patches. So yes, iPad Mini, no iPad 2 and iPhone 4. Even the iPhone 4S may be a stretch.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes but not fully.

The iPad 2 and 3 did not support the translucency effects in iOS 7 but the iPad mini did despite the similarities in hardware.

If iOS 8 is more of a refinement release then the iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPad mini and the 5th Gen iPod touch might slip through.

Apple could limit it artificially to just the iPhone 4S, 5G iPod touch and the iPad mini though, leaving the iPad 2 out. They did a similar thing with the 4G iPod touch - it got iOS 6 and the original iPad did not despite their equal hardware specs.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I give a maybe ;)

Since it still being sold by Apple, I'd say it will be implemented but it not be an upgrade that the Mini can handle too well, i.e., sluggish performance.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

I think so since it's still being sold. I don't recall them ever not giving products they still sell the latest iOS version. I remember with the 3GS they discontinued it the year before they finally stopped giving it updates.

7. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Since this product is currently being sold at the time of the OS announcement, there is a 110% chance it will be eligible for iOS 8.

8. rbart macrumors regular

For the moment, all rumors say that iOS8 has not a lot of new features ...
    We don't know if iOS8 will really be heavier than iOS7.

9. IanGahagan macrumors member

This is just my opinion, but I think IOS 8 will just be a heavily optimized version of 7. I think it will have many of the IOS7 bugs worked out including battery drain on the IPhone 5 and screen lag on the iPad, plus all of the new health apps and features. I wouldn't be surprised if it runs on the first mini.

10. Yebubbleman thread starter macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

The fact that it is still being sold does lend well to the possibility that it will get iOS 8. I guess the crux of the issue is if the iPad 2 gets cut, to what degree does that affect the first generation iPad mini. My experience with iOS 7 on the first generation mini has been poor, and I hope that they leave it in a better condition than the first generation iPad was.

11. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

12. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

It is confirmed that the Original Mini and iPad 2 will both be supported by iOS 8. Now, I wonder how well it will run on the Mini with it's 512mb of RAM. I am impressed by how well 7.1 does. Tabbed browsing is really my only issue.

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Works fine. Of course there's a bunch of bugs, but those will get fixed by the fall.