first generation iPhone, LCD discoloration, temperature dependent

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mikekruger, Jan 10, 2010.

1. mikekruger macrumors newbie

I bought this first generation 8GB iPhone used, for a really good price.
    it works fine.
    However, on the right side of the screen, around the middle, there is a smudge under the glass, about one inch tall and a quarter of an inch wide. The picture I described is in portrait mode.

The touch screen works fine and the smudge is not covering up anything, that is, pixels shine through normally. When the phone is cold, the smudge is not visible, however, after usage, as the phone warms up, it starts becoming more and more pronounced. Again, without hiding anything. On a light background, it shows as a whitish area. If I turn the screen off, the smudge is still visible as a brownish area. Again, this is after the phone has had a chance to warm up.

I know with an older used phone like this I shouldn't have expected perfection, so I am willing to live with it. Question is, will it get worse over time?

Also, by chance, is there anything I can do about it on my own, since the phone is obviously not under any warranty?

Thanks in advance!

2. Zaviex macrumors newbie

its probably not going anywhere unless its condensation and even with that its going to take a while to dissapate

3. mikekruger thread starter macrumors newbie

On the chance it is, I have been keeping the phone in a sealed bag with silica gel packs overnight. But I don't know what it is, since I just got the phone. If it is condensation, can it get worse? Also, why would condensation look brown on a screen that is off?

4. mikekruger thread starter macrumors newbie

hm, should I repost this in the general forum? I have seen a similar question there, though the user's phone was still under warranty and didn't inquire further on the cause of the damage....

I found some posts on this topic on the Apple website discussions area...but nobody stated if the issue gets worse over time or its cause...hopefully someone here knows.