First Generation iPhone Plans Still Available?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spongey817, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Spongey817 macrumors regular

After a somewhat disappointing announcement of the 3G data plans...I've made the decision to not buy the new iPhone.

That being said, I am an existing AT&T customer. I do not own an iPhone. I would like to purchase the first generation iPhone (marketplace, ebay, friends, etc).

If I do this:

1) Could I simply activate it with iTunes and add the $20 data plan?

2) Will I be forced to sign with AT&T for two years?

3) Will my current "unlimited text family plan" be applicable to the iPhone?

2. heatguts58 macrumors member

turns out i have the exact same question as you posted somewhere, but seems like no one knows, i really want an iphone, not as interested in 3G anymore.

3. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

"The 2G data rate plans will remain available for 2G devices until further notice."
    2G = 1st Gen. Iphone
    3g = 2nd Gen. Iphone

1.) "In the interim, 2G iPhones will continue to be activated via iTunes - BAU. This is also true for existing AT&T customers who receive a 2G device as a gift, hand-me-down, etc. and wish to activate the device. Existing AT&T customers who switch to the 2G iPhone must tether through the iTunes process to begin using the device."

2) Yes, your contract will be extended

3) No, you will have to purchase the $40 unlimited Data, Visual Voicemail, and unlimited Text

Source: Leaked Memo from At&T
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-the-details-you-never-wanted-to-know/