First generation Mac Pro + Vista 64-bit opinions?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by alleycat, Mar 23, 2008.

1. alleycat macrumors regular

Greetings.

I'd like to hear some opinions from first generation Mac Pro owners who have used the Apple x64 drivers for Boot Camp. I am thinking of upgrades later to my RAM and would like to use about 4GB for both Mac and Windows. I am currently at 2GB. I also have the 64 bit drivers in hand.

The upgrade process as described by MS sounds daunting. I currently have a full license to Windows XP Home, and have an upgrade version of Vista Home Basic 32 bit. I have sent away for the 64 bit Home Basic upgrade disc of Vista. MS says I need to do a clean install and run the upgrade from the DVD disc itself. Would the Boot Camp assistant be able to boot into the Vista 64 bit upgrade disc and allow an upgrade over the 32 bit Windows XP? Or do I just do a straight boot from that disc? Doing it through the straight method of booting on the DVD worries that I may screw up my OS X Leopard.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or tips. Thanks.

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

To get a clean install of Vista from an upgrade DVD you can follow the steps in this article. Obviously this is written for PC users so you'll have to fill in the boot camp gaps as required.

linq

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Last time i looked a Mac is a PC

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Of course a Mac is a personal computer, but in the common definition a PC is a Windows machine.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yer i know i was only trying to add a little humor :D as upgrading from a stable OS to Vista is well !!!!!!

6. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

:)
    I think the definitions are getting a bit fuzzier due to the number of Macs running Windows.

7. alleycat thread starter macrumors regular

Duely bookmarked. Thanks.

8. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

No worries :)