First Generation MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by qorghdud, Mar 31, 2008.

1. qorghdud macrumors newbie

Anyone else having trouble with the first generation MacBooks? Both white and black ones.
    Because if you have read my previous post, you know I've been through a lot with my white MacBook, and my best friend just told me that his logic board completely crashed and he is doomed because he didn't get the extended warranty.
    I love Macs, so don't think I'm one of those Mac sucks, PC rules guy because even with all my troubles, I would still buy another Mac.

But yeah, like I said, my MacBook has been through a lot: two LCD changes, two restart problems (which is now identified as RAM problem).

Weird thing is my MacBook is ridiculously slow now with 512MB.
    I can barely run Firefox, Adium, and Word together, and can't really run anything else when running Azureus to get all my crap back!

So, I'm thinking does 2GB -> 512MB really make a difference? OR does this mean the first generation 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB, and 160 HD can no longer perform simple tasks?

Let me know what you guys think!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would recommend no less than 1GB these days. 2GB and you won't even think its the same computer. Also clean up your hard drive as OSX likes a quite a few GBs free.

3. razyorv macrumors member

2GB -> 512MB?

Don't you mean the opposite?

Try running Onyx on your mac to see if that speeds things up a bit.

4. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I have a first gen MacBook and aside from the case crack issue, have had no problems (knock on wood...)

5. chris y. macrumors regular

You definitely want 1gb of RAM at the very least if you plan on running more than 2 programs at a time. Anything less is just asking for page outs and rainbow colored beachballs.

RAM is so cheap nowadays 1gb is around $10-15 AR.

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

He had top put the original factory RAM back in because his other memory was causing problems. So right now he's stuck with 512M, which is of course unusable.

7. CDL0012 macrumors newbie

Times have changed, programs probably using more resources as they mature and become better, thus you can't expect programs that you use today to run full speed as like their counter-part older version.

This is only assuming that you are using different versions from the time that you had 512 ram and now.