First Generation MBP - Lifespan and Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Standard, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Standard macrumors regular

I currently own a first generation MacBook Pro 15", matte, 1440 × 900, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128 MB, 80 GB, 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo Yonah, 1.5GB RAM (thinking of getting http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=8698C1B9A5CA7304)

I haven't really used the machine much because I purchased this desktop, and would like to know from some heavy users that design/develop on this/similar machine(s).

With 2GB ram, can I expect another year out of this machine? I will be using Adobe CS3, Luxology Modo, and some BootCamp for some other Apps. I plan to purchase an ACD 23" to work on if everything will run smoothly.

Thanks,

Standard

2. Standard thread starter macrumors regular

Thirty-eight views and not one person can comment even if they are speculating?

3. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I'm not sure, if 512MB will do much difference in performance. On the other hand, the dual chanel mode may slightly improve performance.

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I don't see why it shouldn't last. The key is to keep the computer as cool as possible while taxing it. That will help it last longer

5. rustyb99 macrumors member

I have had a first gen MBP pretty much since they came out. I do video editing using final cut and it is still going strong. I do need to upgrade my ram big time but has sufficed for what i have been doing so far.

6. Standard thread starter macrumors regular

so with the crucial memeory kit this machine should run well then?

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would get something with a Core 2 Duo rather than CD...try looking into the 2.33GHz which I think are on the Apple refurb page.

8. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Those Core Duo machines are still plenty fast for all tasks you throw at it tbh. They certainly are no slouch at all!

Also I believe that the extra bit of ram will help out a bit.

9. TSE macrumors 68030

Core Duos with 2 GBs of RAM should last atleast a year for professionals still.

They will be useful for everyday use for non-professionals atleast until 2010 to be honest.

10. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I have the 2 GHz, 256Mb video model, with the RAM maxed out at 2Gb. I use it regularly for CS3, running 10.5.4. I plan to keep using it until the Applecare runs out next March, so yeah, I'd hope yours lasts that long, too.

Definitely max the RAM, although the paltry 2Gb max is far below the 4GB minimum that at least one Adobe trainer recommends. I've had some serious beachball parties on my screen, but suspect that at least some of those problems are not so much MBP related. (I tend to multi-task the box in some less than productive ways, i.e. watching a movie on the built-in screen, while working on the 24" external LCD.)

I'm bringing it in next week to replace both fans, which is one supposed weakness of this generation MBP.

11. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

mine has been arctic-silvered and maxxed to 2GB RAM. everything is fine :) I hope it will last another 3-5 years.

12. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Hmmm. Interesting update. After having the fans replaced (and a faulty AC adaptor and remote control), the bluetooth functionality died, so back into the shop it went. Two weeks later they still can't fix it, and I've just been told that I'll be upgraded to the current entry level 2.4 gHz MBP, ready to pick up tomorrow. Glad I bought Applecare!

So the upgrades are:
    2.0 Ghz Core Duo --> 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo
    Original trackpad --> Multi-touch trackpad
    Original CCFL backlit panel --> LED lit panel
    Firewire 400 --> Firewire 400 + 800
    100 Gb Hard drive --> 200 Gb Hard drive
    standard DVD burner --> Dual-layer DVD burner
    802.11g --> 802.11n

But I readily admit I'm sad to give up my rev 1. It's a little battered and seen some battles, but it's been my little buddy for two and a half years. I feel guilty retiring it for a relatively minor issue, but can't pass up the offer.