Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HomeKit-icon.jpg
Ahead of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, several of the company's HomeKit partners are today announcing the availability of the first HomeKit-compatible products. HomeKit is Apple's home automation platform, first introduced at the 2014 Worldwide Developers Conference.

HomeKit provides a standardized framework for manufacturers that develop home automation products, letting them interface with the Apple ecosystem and with each other. Through HomeKit, connected devices like lights, thermostats, speakers, smart plugs, and more can be controlled by Siri. For example, HomeKit enables commands like "Siri, turn off my lights," or "Siri, turn the temperature up before I get home."

Though HomeKit was announced in 2014, it has taken nearly a year for companies to complete Apple's certification process and get products ready for store shelves. Several companies like iDevices, Schlage, and Elgato have previously announced plans for HomeKit-compatible products, but until today, no products were ready to launch.

The first three companies to announce completed HomeKit-compatible products that will be available for purchase shortly are Lutron, iHome, and Elgato. Lutron is debuting its Cas

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
i like the concept of a smart home, but holy god, if it doesn't seem like dutifully placing yourself into an Orwellian 'Big Bro' home. any good articles lately on what smart homes will mean for privacy?

Reactions: ksnell and Yakibomb

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
What are the odds that the Quirky Wink set up will be Homekit Compatible? Already have that set up and don't want to have to buy all new gear just to turn on some light bulbs.

Reactions: x-evil-x

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
What are the odds that the Quirky Wink set up will be Homekit Compatible? Already have that set up and don't want to have to buy all new gear just to turn on some light bulbs.

Good question. I already have half a dozen GE bulbs with a Wink hub (which is flaky), and won't invest in any more without Homekit compatibility. Still waiting on Incipio's stuff to drop because their prices seem to be far more reasonable.
http://blog.incipio.com/home/incipi...-apple-homekit-at-2015-international-ces.html

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Man, all of this looks awesome.

Cant wait to see what else is coming. Hopefully we get a Nest update too.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA

I went with WeMo, so I'm in the same boat as you wondering if my existing system is going to work. Wish there was more info on this, but I just can't find any.

Reactions: Dionte

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I went with WeMo, so I'm in the same boat as you wondering if my existing system is going to work. Wish there was more info on this, but I just can't find any.

From all the announcements today, looks like new hardware is required. I have the Lutron hub, and even that is stating I need a new bridge. Really sucks for those that have purchased the hardware already.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
still waiting for a homekit system that has an alarm! insteon has the largest portfolio of products but they are strictly automation, not security. Just put an audio alarm in the hub please!

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Way to pricey for what it does, but of course prices are always high to start. I'll pick something up on clearance in a month.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
All I want is some kind of little dongle I can wire into my ceiling fans so I don't have to use the ******* ******* ***** ** ****** *************** ***** ******* ******** ****** ****** remote they came with.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Can't wait for Hue to work with HomeKit.
Yeah. I bought Hue with four bulbs before hearing about HomeKit. Hoping they provide an answer soon. I have been holding out because they don't seem to be moving fast at all. I am still considering switching to a different solution but suspect we will hear a lot more next week.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Bait and switch. Incipio announced at CES for $25. By the time it got to their website, it was $40.

Very unfortunate if true. Not that I don't believe you, but link please? The only Incipio info I can find is directly from their January announcement.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Yeah. I bought Hue with four bulbs before hearing about HomeKit. Hoping they provide an answer soon. I have been holding out because they don't seem to be moving fast at all. I am still considering switching to a different solution but suspect we will hear a lot more next week.
I have 6 bulbs and two Taps so hopefully I won't have to switch.

Bob Hudson

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
All I want is some kind of little dongle I can wire into my ceiling fans so I don't have to use the ******* ******* ***** ** ****** *************** ***** ******* ******** ****** ****** remote they came with.
Check out Big Ass Fans. The have an app for control and are great fans.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I wanted to post about how cool this new HomeKit stuff is and how I can't wait for the prices to drop so that it'll be reasonable to replace a whole house with HomeKit supporting plugs but instead all I could think when I saw the article was that the top socket looks like he's angrily doing something to a surprised lower socket:
ihomesmartplug.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.