First I phone: SE vs 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kmac007, Apr 16, 2016.

1. kmac007 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

Long time blackberry user, but I finally had enough! Time to get with the times! I want to pick up my first I phone and I'm coming from a old candy bar style Blackberry.

Originally I had my eyes set on the SE because I wanted something more small and portable but when I began typing on it, it felt cramped and the phone looked a lot "older looking" compared to the 6S. I really want to like the SE though because of the one handed use but how is the typing experience on it?

Also what would you guys recommend personally?

Keep in mind I'm a new user to Apple and coming from a smaller phone. What advantages does the 6S have over the SE and the SE over the 6s?

2. ElysiumY2K macrumors member

ElysiumY2K

There are alot of comparison websites if you google it.

The SE is almost up to par with the 6S (with only a few little things such as the camera and battery life lower in specs).

Obviously the main difference is the body of the iPhones. The SE is more of a straight edge robust phone whereas the 6S is more curved and sleek.

It's really up to you as a person on which one you prefer.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Go to the Apple store and play with them both. I currently have a 6+ and was looking forward to going back to a small phone. After going to the store, I decided the SE was too small and the sweet spot is the 6S.

4. kmac007 thread starter macrumors regular

It's like you read my mind. I did exactly that 2 days ago. Going into the store I was 90% set on the SE but when I saw it and how thick it was and how small the screen was I also found the 6s is a good middle ground. I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on something else by not getting the SE.

5. ledzep1 macrumors member

same situation as OP.

The only thing stopping me buying the 6S currently is all the posts I've seen about poor battery life, is it really as bad as people say?
    Im only a light phone user but do intend on using my phone abroad at times for holiday snaps.

The SE is nice but I think a bigger screen is better for things like taking photos and such.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The 6S has "more" features and is "better" than the SE. The only thing that the SE has to offer is it's small screen and body design. For alot of people, the small design and one handed use trumps everything else.

7. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

The performance of the SE is on par with the 6S. It's literally using the exact same A9 chip. The battery life of the SE is actually slightly better than the 6S, according to Apple's website. Also, the rear camera is the exact same. The front-facing camera, however, wasn't updated on the SE.

8. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

No 3D Touch on the SE either, if that matters.

9. 617aircav Suspended

Similar experience depends on the size you want.

10. tedson, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016

tedson macrumors regular

The one thing that tilted the decision for me to the SE is that it is $250 cheaper than the 6s for most of the features that were important to me.

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yep. That's a huge difference in price. Wouldn't blame someone trying to save a few dollars!

12. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

If you don't need or want the below difference than get the SE. And you can get the 6s for $549 not $649 on a promotion from Verizon.

.7 inch larger screen

Barometer

Better rear f/2.2 facing camera

3D Touch screen

Retina HD screen over a Retina screen

Dual-domain pixels for wide viewing angles

1400:1 contrast ratio

2nd Generation Touch ID

Display Zoom

LTE Advanced

13. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

For clarification, the 6S and SE are both 326 ppi. The "HD" comes from the fact that the new resolution on the 6S meets the criteria for 720p, which is "HD". The 6S Plus, however, is 1080p @ 401 ppi. Everything else aside (contrast ratio, etc.) "Retina HD" is merely a marketing term. The ppi of the 6S and SE are the same.

14. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

No, you're not at all outside of the SE longer battery life.

If the 6S feels better to you, get one and enjoy!

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Unless price and size is a concern, I'd get the 6s, particularly if you know you're going to keep your phone a while. The SE is no sluch but you certainly give up a lot of screen space.

As was mentioned there are spec for spec and feature for feature comparisons out there too, but the two huge bullet points are the screen size (and to some extent quality but this hasn't been a notable difference in my family) and price point. On that note, storage MAY be a concern too. The SE doesn't come in a 128gb option.

As far as battery life I can tell you we got my son an SE solely for video consumption in the car. It drains at the same rate as the 6s did. I think people touting the SE as having much superior battery life are exaggerating some, or perhaps doing vastly other activities than what I am able to compare.