First iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by makotoisle, May 31, 2012.

1. makotoisle macrumors 6502

Hi Everyone: I've been lurking here for the past few weeks and today I just bought my first iMac. It's the entry level 27" Core i5, AMD 6770M one. I know, I know, half you guys will be breathing down my neck screaming, "RETURN IT!! and buy a 2012 model!!" but I bought it second hand and only paid $1000 for it and it's only 3 months old.

I thought I got a pretty good deal on it, but after getting home my spouse started asking the questions I probably should have asked first, like:

Will apple still support it if there's a warranty issue or if I need to use the genius bar (since I am not the original owner)?

What is the screen life on one of these giant 27" displays?

How long does apple typically support their machines? As in, how long will I still be able to get updates for it?

If any of you have any ideas, please let me know. I've been a PC user my whole life, but I loved the iPhone so I thought I'd try an iMac when my computer died last month. I was waiting for the new 2012 models, but this deal seemed too good to pass up. I hope I was right!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Congrats!
    Buy what you want, when you want it, and ignore everyone else.
    Yes, Apple warranty and AppleCare follows the computer, not the owner.
    Many years. It's very likely you'll replace it with a newer model long before the screen wears out.
    If you're referring to the hardware, until the warranty or AppleCare expires. If you're referring to the OS, it depends on whether you upgrade to newer OS versions when they're released.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    iMac Fast Start: The new user's guide to iMac

3. makotoisle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your helpful reply! In response to the last question, I meant: how long will I be able to get software updates on the machine? For example, when OSX came out, what was the cut-off age where they said, "Your mac can't run this!"

Thanks again!! :)

4. Stolz25 macrumors member

Kinda depends. It depends heavily on this year's hardware quickly outdistancing the year before. My first gen macbook pro couldn't upgrade to Lion, so it made it 5 years before being forced to use an outdated OS. However, I think with the trends we are seeing in hardware (improvements are happening but not lightning quick anymore) it'll be much longer before you can't upgrade at this point.

5. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I'm running a 2008 iMac, and have had no problems running Lion. I expect the same will hold true with Mountain Lion. So thats Snow Leopard, Lion, and ML... counting Leopard that's 4 versions of OS X over the course of 4+ years. And i'll probably upgrade to whatever 10.9 will be next year too.

It's likely that you'll be able to update your iMac for many many years to come.

Congratulations on the purchase. Enjoy!

6. makotoisle thread starter macrumors 6502

7. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Considering the monitor is $849 used you got a very good deal on an all in one system, enjoy your new iMac. Get AppleCare if you still can if you really want the peace of mind.