First Impression: Trackpad vs. Mouse with Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by classicaliberal, Jul 21, 2011.

1. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

The new touch-gesture features in lion are very nice. The added functionality is welcomed and makes my computer feel much more 'integrated' with me personally. Like the iPad. However, after purchasing the magic trackpad, I'm finding myself a bit SPLIT on functionality vs. that of my existing Logitech Revolution (10ish button) mouse.

The combination of the trackpad and Lion allows me to do many more things than can be done with Lion and the revolution mouse. However, the mouse seems to be far faster and more accurate for basic tasks, navigating around the computer, etc. I had anticipated that the trackpad would replace the mouse, but I no longer feel that way. Are most of you who are using the trackpad also using a mouse? Two navigation peripherals right next to eachother? If you're using both, explain why. If you decided on one vs. the other, explain why. I can't be the only one who is split on benefits/negatives of these two input devices.

2. classicaliberal thread starter macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Am I the only one experiencing this? Are YOU going to use just a trackpad? Just a mouse? Both?

3. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

Well, I'm barely 24 hours into lion, but I'm finding myself using the track pad more and more. I really like gestures, especially with safari. And I'm beginning to like launchpad (thought I wouldn't be using it at all).

4. Peteman100, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

Peteman100 macrumors 6502

If Apple built-in mouse button customizability into the OS, there would be no need for a trackpad

5. cas85 macrumors regular

I went out and purchased the magic trackpad for when i'm using my 13in MBP with the external monitor and i love it. everything is just so smooth with it. I wish it wasn't so expensive, but I can say that about a lot of Apple products. I'm lovin it so far.

6. jive turkey macrumors 6502

Am I the only loser who is using both a mouse and trackpad? The mouse isn't a Magic Mouse, but I do have a Magic Trackpad to the left of my keyboard and a $10 MS wired mouse to the right. I'm using both, depending on what needs to be done.

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I use three input devices: Magic Trackpad, Razer Naga Epic, and a Wacom Tablet.

Different purposes, different devices. Most of the time I'm using the trackpad though, since Lion is multi-touch happy. :D

8. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I used the magic mouse and trackpad on my MBP

9. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I prefer using the trackpad. My wrist feels less strained when I move just my fingers, compared to moving the whole mouse around. The mouse just feels very big and clumsy in my hands.

10. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I also have a trackpad and a MX Revolution. Since I installed Lion, I have not touched the mouse.

The mouse is nice for certain things, the trackpad is nice for others... That's why I have both.

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I use these two as well (just purchased the trackpad but have been using the MM for over a year and loving it)...I bought the trackpad for use with Lion and thus far I am very very happy with it...

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Ever since I got my Black MacBook I haven't used a mouse. I feel that, personally, the trackpad is great for everything that I want to do, however I'll probably get a good mouse when I start playing games.

For every day use, trackpads on MBs are great.

13. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

How is the MM working for you with Lion?

14. dzigg macrumors member

Agreed.. I only need the mouse for gaming.

Trackpad + Keyboard shortcut makes navigating and do stuff really fast once you get used to it, and with lion, it just got better.

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Yea... once I get my MBP I'll be out of money, however, after I save up some money and get comfortable after college expenses pass, I'll probably pick up a good wireless mouse (probably one from Apple) to use for the occasional game in the room.

16. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I agree, however for photo editing I use the mouse, and a wacom because it feels more precise.

17. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I use both the Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse with my iMac. While I initially preferred the mouse I find myself using the trackpad more. I wouldn't want to be without either however because in Lion both are still useful.

18. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

This is good to know as I have been thinking about getting a Magic Mouse.

19. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

The MM is working well with Lion (although I do use BTT) but there are just SO many more gestures that work with the Touchpad...I like having both...

20. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I recently moved to Safari having got fed up with the bloatware that is Firefox - was using 4GB memory according to Activity Monitor!

However, tabs in Safari certainly aren't as advanced as Firefox. I miss FF's ability to scroll all my tabs left/right (any off-window tabs in Safari have to be accessed by a menu).

I also wish Safari had a native two-finger horizontal swipe option to move left/right through my tabs rather than prev/next on the active page.

21. classicaliberal thread starter macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Considering going back to using the trackpad after returning it to the store. Being able to switch between fullscreen desktops is a huge feature.