First impressions coming from a 2008 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jongriff, May 15, 2015.

1. jongriff macrumors member

I thought I would share my impressions of my new MacBook which has finally arrived yesterday. I got the 1.3 256GB in Space Grey and since 2008 have been using a unibody MacBook Pro 2.53GHz. This new MacBook is to replace my ageing Pro and I intend to use it as my primary machine.

My usage is low intensity as you can imagine. I use Safari, Mail, iTunes, Photos, Pages, Photoshop, Xcode, stream movies etc. Nothing intensive and I use my Xbox for gaming.

Perhaps there are a lot of people here that don't have a more uptodate machine that they are replacing and thus they will be looking for a similar comparison. My old Pro is on Yosemite and with the usage above I have had absolutely no problems with it at all performance-wise (I put an SSD in it some years ago), I have only replaced it because 7 years is long enough for me to justify a replacement and the MacBook seduced me!

The new MacBook reminds me of the modern-day equivalent of the 12" PowerBook G4 in it's intentions. It is unbelievably small, light and thin and after just a few hours of use, going back to the Pro makes it feel ancient and bulky. It is incredibly easy to carry around and it's tiny footprint allows me to use it however I want, I am currently typing this on my lap very comfortably.

Performance-wise for me this thing absolutely screams. Everything loads near-as-make-no-difference instantaneously, I have experienced absolutely no stuttering or lag and while downloading music/photos/apps and installing things the heat it produces is noticeable but in no way overt.

The keyboard is amazing and took no time at all to get used to, makes a lovely sound and feels great, the larger keys are the most noticeable change and very helpful. The trackpad is equally brilliant and I really have been convinced by the illusion of a physical click.

The biggest thing for me is the Retina display. Coming from a non-Retina Pro it makes such a big difference. I have it set on "looks like 1440/900" which is exactly the same resolution of my Pro. Amazing to think that I get the same screen real-estate as my old Pro with such a reduction in bulk.

As far as the 1 x USB-C port goes I have had no issues. My iTunes, Photos, Documents and settings are in the Cloud. My printer is wireless. My external hard-drive for old pre-Cloud documents/videos etc is connected to the AirPort Extreme's USB port and I have an AppleTV and Airport Express. There is genuinely no need to plug it in to anything. I have the multiport adapter and I am yet to use it as I have everything I need on here from opening the box and typing in my iCloud credentials. I appreciate this may not be the same for everyone but this way of using a laptop is definitely, for me, the future.

The battery-life is laughably good in comparison to my old machine. I had to replace my Pro's battery 18 months ago and at a push get 3.5-4 hours. This MacBook lets me use it all day without a power adapter and so can come to work with me with no bulk at all.

In summary if you are looking for a computer that can do basic computing (and a bit more, Photoshop and Xcode have given me no issues at all) and you have most of your extra kit set up wirelessly then there are no down-sides. I think that price-wise it is great value for money - good base specs and to think this can do everything and more that my £1800 Pro can do with gorgeous industrial design makes me more than happy to pay the asking price. I know that this usage profile doesn't apply to everyone but for me this is the replacement computer I have been waiting for for years.

[As an end-note for those waiting on their pre-orders I didn't get any tracking info until the day it was delivered. Ordered in UK with adapter set to come in the same delivery (won't be doing that again) and it said multiple things including shipment delayed and preparing for handover to carrier before arriving exactly as predicted when it shipped a week or so ago]

2. spaz2841 macrumors newbie

I agree with you completely. I upgraded from a 2010 MBP and this is a definite upgrade, everything i do is faster on this. I still didn't have a problem with my MBP but have been looking at the 11" Air for over a year but had decided to wait for the retina upgrade before i pulled the trigger.

I am not a power user at all and if anything i try to squeeze everything i can out of whatever platform i am using, when I got the iPad 2 i used that to make a 40 minute graduation video for my kid just to see if it would do it, the only thing i couldn't do with it is burn the DVD's, I had to move it to my MBP for that. If this is deemed slow by others i honestly don't know what i would do with one of the fast computers like the current MBP, don't get me wrong i understand the speed difference while doing some activities, like my daughters 2012 MBP can rip dvd's almost twice as fast as my 2010 MBP can, but other than that with normal usage i never saw much difference.

When the MBr was announced i was hesitant at first because of all the talk of how bad the core m would be, I didn't want to side step in performance for sure, anyway I finally decided to go for it and ordered the SG/1.3/512 and i couldn't be happier with it except for the force touch thing which i can't seem to get the hang of.