First Impressions - iPhone X Silver - Pictures included!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pudcraft, Nov 3, 2017.

1. pudcraft, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

pudcraft macrumors regular

Hey all!

I figured I'd post some pictures of my iPhone X 64GB Silver which I picked up at the Apple Store this morning. I do have 3 cases and 1 glass screen protector on the way. I'll update this thread with thoughts on the accessories and full package all together. Lastly, I was on the fence between the Google Pixel 2 XL and the iPhone X. I have both devices on-hand and intend to post a thorough comparison of the two to help people in my similar situation decide on the best device for them.

Going Button-LESS:

This has been such a positive switch. I'm not just building hype here, but the removal of the home button and the UX Apple created to replace it has been super easy and a breeze to use. Many reviews show it takes time to get used to. I'd say I had it down in a matter of minutes and felt much more natural and comfortable than a home button. I no longer accidentally activate Siri when I double tap the home button incorrectly or triple tap for the magnification, like I always did on my previous iPhones.

Face ID:

It's fast. Like, really fast. I felt this took more getting "used" to than the removal of the home button. I am not used to lifting my phone and just swiping up because it is already unlocked. When I lift the device, I'm sort of expecting something, but without notifications displayed - I don't notice the unlock icon appear right away. Once you get used to it, it's as simple as lift and swipe up.

Screen:

I got the iPhone 8+ for a hot second when it came out. The one thing that was hard to leave was the "true-tone" display. I can't stress how much I love this feature. My iPhone 7+ looks cold and dull compared to this screen. The X's screen looks like liquid colors. Absolutely beautiful. The glass is smooth and comfortable to do all the swipe gestures with, which is very important to have a positive UX.

I'll let the gutsy reviewers do the scratch and drop tests for ya'll here.

Size:

I have always wanted to the standard size iPhone 7 or iPhone 8, but the large screen on the Plus was a must. Now that the X has removed the bezels, we get the perks of the screen size and the very comfortable overall phone size for your hand.

For the record, I don't have large hands. I am using the X one handed and reaching for the control center or notifications is not an issue. My opinion is that reviewers have negged on this change and while it is a new way to interface with the iPhone, it's most certainly not a horrible change. New UX brings on new ways to interface with technology. This is Apples first step to implementing that change and I feel comfortable saying that it will only get better from here.

Color:

I had the chance to look at both colors. I always get black devices. I opted for the Silver this round and I don't regret it. The black shows smudges like no other. The silver does too, but it's definitely not as noticeable unless you hold it under direct light (like my pictures). The trim is chrome and at first I felt put off by it, but it's growing on me. The back is a very feint silver that looks white too. Hard to describe until you see it in person, but I found it to be absolutely gorgeous while the Space Grey looked a little too Grey and faded for my taste.

Again, I do plan on posting a full review in writing and video format. I will also do a side by side comparison of real world experiences using the Google Pixel 2 XL and iPhone X - after testing the device out over the weekend. I'll update this thread with the accessories I have ordered.

Here to answer any questions.

Update 1:

Per the request of @mikosk - I have included several attachments of real app display and usage. Screenshots, unfortunately, won't do the job in showing the "notch" and how apps are working around it or against it.

Instead, I have provided several pictures I took of these apps. One of my largest concerns was the notch interfering with scrolling. Some of the pictures I have taken show how the scroll bar does not interfere with the notch. Many apps haven't updated yet either - such as Google Maps.

App Image Notes:

iFunny - you can see status bar area effects the title section of the app. Easy fix in an update, not a real problem.

Netflix - You can watch videos with full screen or in a rectangle mode. You can see the notch doesn't interfere much, but for some it could be a turn off. Just double tap and you'll be watching it the same way you did on previous iPhones.

Apple Apps - You can expect all of these to play well. MAIL works and looks great. I'd post an image, but i've hit the cap on this OP.

Attached Files:

2. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Beautiful phone! Glad to see they finally made the front black for the first time on a non gray/black phone.

3. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Are there any X exclusive Dynamic or Live wallpapers?

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Good stuff, looking forward to your thoughts comparing the two. Especially with how bad the 2 XL display is.

5. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Thank you for a great “first impressions write up”!

However, it just made my day longer...come on Canada Post! o_O

6. mikosk macrumors regular

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Can you post some real world app screenshots, both in portrait and landscape? Curious about Safari, Mail, iMessages, Netflix, Spotify, Google Maps, Waze. Very curious about real world screen usability vs apple marketing.

7. pudcraft thread starter macrumors regular

Me too! The only reason I avoided lighter colors in the past was due to the white face. Love the silver/white back with black face.

I only had the 8 for a short time, but there seem to be exclusive Live Wallpapers. They still have the clouds from iPhone 7. The newly added wallpapers that are a color mix/blend as seen in their ads are also animated. See this link for which ones i'm referencing

I'm excited to compare the 2 together as well! The Pixel 2 XL Display really was a let down. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt, but the second I look at it from an angle, it is aqua blue almost. Not exaggerating or being picky, just honest from my experience.

Thank you! The encouragement helps to develop more content. I know your pain, I feel like I have scavenged every letter of these forums since pre-order day.

Yes, absolutely. I have all of the above mentioned installed. I'll provide some screenshots of the layouts. Most apps are not updated and that is probably the most "challenging" aspect of new tech. However, it hasn't been much of an issue for me so far.

I'm all about real world usability. I'm a UX designer by trade and I like to share real experiences that people will face.

I will also do a CarPlay demo - if anything is different (which I doubt)...
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    I updated the OP with some images to help. I'll say that real world screen usability is great so far. Just need some apps to update and fix some minor graphical issues.

8. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

I have been playing around with my X and I also think it great. True tone looks so much better on compared to off. Whites are way too blue with it off. FaceID works great. Hasn't failed me yet. Several of my apps have not updated for the X, so that's a little disappointing. Audio through the speaks sounds great compared to my 7 Plus. No problem with airpods. Wireless charging works good. Just make sure you buy a Qi charge that says fast charging. I have 3 Samsung chargers. 2 of them say fast charge and they both work. The 3rd one does not say fast charge and it does not work.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You may want to blur out your phone number.

10. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

How’s the new swipe up gesture for home screen working out?

Specifically, if you’re in a full screen app, such as a game, can you accidentally swipe up from the bottom of screen to activate it? That’s one thing I really think is an oversight and could’ve had a home button on the side.

11. pudcraft thread starter macrumors regular

Referencing the iMessage image? That's from Snapchat :) I can't find anything sensitive showing in others. Thanks for the lookout!

How’s the new swipe up gesture for home screen working out?

The gesture is working great. As a UX designer, I was worried about how this would be implemented, but it has been so fluid and organic that it becomes natural very quickly. I have been a huge fan of it so far.​

Specifically, if you’re in a full screen app, such as a game, can you accidentally swipe up from the bottom of screen to activate it? That’s one thing I really think is an oversight and could’ve had a home button on the side.

Excellent question! I just tested this out with Dynasty Blades - really the only game I do play and it is rarely updated for aesthetics.

I have noticed 2 behaviors when playing a game.
    • Behavior 1: The swipe up gesture hits a "wall" and provides a haptic feedback. It is telling you that it will not let you accidentally swipe up and exit out of your game.
    • Behavior 2: If you hit that "wall" and swipe up again, you are telling the device that you intentionally meant to do the gesture to exit out of the game. Not as convenient as hitting the home button on previous models to exit a game, but I also remember how many times I hit that button on accident and closed out of my games too.
    Overall - I think they did a good job considering different use-cases for the swipe up gesture to avoid common struggles/complaints with it.​

12. bradkrischel, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

bradkrischel macrumors 6502

Is the screen off in IMG_0428.HEIC.jpg? - looks like I can see the home indicator line. I hope there's not burn in out of the box... :/

13. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

You might want to remove the photos that show real phone numbers.

14. pudcraft thread starter macrumors regular

No burn in. Screen is off but lots of reflections from my backsplash.
    It’s a number from Snapchat with my code. Not a personal or private number. Thank you though!

15. audirs5 macrumors 6502

Sorry, but can someone explain tru tone for me.. i turn it on and the screen goes warm. kind of like night shift.. not the same pop

16. bradkrischel macrumors 6502

Is the screen off in IMG_0428.HEIC.jpg? It looks like you can see the 'home indicator' on the screen. These things come with burn in out of the box?!?

17. pudcraft thread starter macrumors regular

The screen was off. There’s some strong lighting and backsplash that might be reflecting that way. I looked very carefully and there isn’t any burn in.