Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lunchfoot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
seattle, wa
Just got it up and running today and very pleased. SSD despite being non-cutting edge is very fast. Startup in 15-20 seconds, apps open superfast. Glossy screen does not appear to be a problem for me :) I was a little concerned with that. Scored over 10k on geekbench. I'm very pleased so far - nice looking screen, no dead pixels. Machine runs VERY quiet. For anyone considering one I would highly recommend based on my observations so far.

Michael D.

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Just got it up and running today and very pleased. SSD despite being non-cutting edge is very fast. Startup in 15-20 seconds, apps open superfast. Glossy screen does not appear to be a problem for me :) I was a little concerned with that. Scored over 10k on geekbench. I'm very pleased so far - nice looking screen, no dead pixels. Machine runs VERY quiet. For anyone considering one I would highly recommend based on my observations so far.

Glad to hear that! My 27" w SSD is scheduled for next Friday.
The long wait is about to bear fruit. :)

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
My i5 scored 13000 on geekbench. Just over 10k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean your hackintosh. ;)

The 27 i7 3.4 don't even score that high. The i5 3.1 average around 9200 on 64 bit.

The 21.5 i7 2.8 scores averages around 11300. With SSD or without SSD. Doesn't matter as geekbench is mainly CPU intensive.

Currently the 21.5 i7 is the second fastest imac right now. As fast as last years or a little faster than the 2010 i7 2.93. His 10000+ is 32 bit mode. Not 64 bit.

It is a nice machine as I have the exact same one. But I am sending it back as the thunderbolt port doesn't work with my Eizo monitor. :(

There seems to be a issue with external monitors waking from sleep via thunderbolt.

lunchfoot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
seattle, wa
yes that was 32 bit mode. highest i've seen for this model is right about 11k. So i would be suspicious of 13k. Anyway still love this thing! runs way cooler than my g5 imac lol. And near silent, in fact most of the time the hdd is spun down so it really is hard to hear anything at all. The other day i was encoding some TV episodes for my ipod classic. I used to get maybe 20 frames per second with the g5 imac . Now i can get 610 fps encoding - same program and settings :) I was rather amazed. Getting ready to install Windows 7 so I can play Giants: Citizen Kabuto again! Can you believe some people out there still play it ?? I love that game.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Man I wanted the SSD in my new iMac but I just could not justify the $600 price tag. I use my iMac mainly for fun; lots of surfing, some e-mail, a few documents, VM Ware for work once and a while and some "non CPU/Video intensive" games. Really no actual need for it. But damn it would have been SWEET to have an SSD under the hood. :(

IeU

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
You mean your hackintosh. ;)

The 27 i7 3.4 don't even score that high. The i5 3.1 average around 9200 on 64 bit.

The 21.5 i7 2.8 scores averages around 11300. With SSD or without SSD. Doesn't matter as geekbench is mainly CPU intensive.

Currently the 21.5 i7 is the second fastest imac right now. As fast as last years or a little faster than the 2010 i7 2.93. His 10000+ is 32 bit mode. Not 64 bit.

It is a nice machine as I have the exact same one. But I am sending it back as the thunderbolt port doesn't work with my Eizo monitor. :(

There seems to be a issue with external monitors waking from sleep via thunderbolt.

I scored almost 13k with my 27i7 (Geekbench 64bit)(12MB Ram)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.