Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Is the individual backlighting new this year? It looks really good!

yes, but rMB has had it too since 2015

brand new to the pro line, along with butterfly key mechanism, except this one is supposedly 2nd generation and has individual response things underneath the key that are supposed to help

gmc

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Hey, congrats on your new machine. I am planning to order the 13" w/ Touchbar asap.
One quick question: is the size of the new Trackpad inconvenient in any way? Do you inevitably touch it with your palms while typing?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Hey, congrats on your new machine. I am planning to order the 13" w/ Touchbar asap.
One quick question: is the size of the new Trackpad inconvenient in any way? Do you inevitably touch it with your palms while typing?

i wonder this too,

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
How is the performance as compared to last year's 13 rmbp? It is supposed to be better right ?

This is more of a MacBook Air replacement so I believe if you benchmarked this one and my old one it would be slower. However from what I've read the graphics are supposed to be better. As far as performance I don't tax my computers hard at all and it doesn't seem any faster/slower than my old one. I'm installing HaloMD later so I'm going to play it a bit and see how the graphics compare to the old one.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I just looked on the apple web site. This version only has two ports by the sounds of it. Is that for real? How can apple call this a Pro device with only two ports, one for power?
The entry level Pro (two ports, no touchbar) is not the machine that most true Pro users are going to buy, and the demographic for this computer would likely never utilize four ports simulatenously. Four ports will be beneficial for work users, in which case they will go with the beefier spec machine anyways. In order to offer an entry level machine that is $300, thing will have to be cut.
[doublepost=1477752059][/doublepost]
This is more of a MacBook Air replacement so I believe if you benchmarked this one and my old one it would be slower. However from what I've read the graphics are supposed to be better. As far as performance I don't tax my computers hard at all and it doesn't seem any faster/slower than my old one. I'm installing HaloMD later so I'm going to play it a bit and see how the graphics compare to the old one.
Graphics are better with the 540 vs 6100. Entry level 2016 13" MBP benchmarks slightly ahead of last years entry level model in Geekbench. A few hundred points higher in both multi-core and single-core.

golosin2

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
I just picked up my new Silver MBP 13" base model at the Apple Store this evening and I agree with everything you have said. The size and weight feels about the same as my old 13" MBA and the form factor is great. The new keyboard is a MASSIVE improvement over the keyboard on the rMB and is one of my favorite parts of the new MBP.

Rather than deal with the smudges and scratches on the Space Grey (which I have on my rMB) I decided to go with classic silver and am very happy with the way it looks.

The screen is amazing...bright, crystal clear, amazing blacks, super sharp and great color.

The speakers are loud and full-sounding with good bass and nice stereo separation...very enjoyable to listen to:)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Could you please post an image of the rMB on top of the MBP? To see footprints.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I have one and have been using it for a few hours. It's worth the extra money. Everything is improved, and it feels more premium. You get what you pay for.

I also have a rMB that I really like. So now i'm torn a bit. I never liked the rMB keyboard as the travel was too shallow. The 13" is better. Also, the 13 is MUCH more powerful, even the 2.0. I'm just going to have to compare them for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryannel2003

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
What is the footprint like compared to the old 13" Macbook Pro? If you get the time could you please take a photo of the new machine on top of the old?

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I have one and have been using it for a few hours. It's worth the extra money. Everything is improved, and it feels more premium. You get what you pay for.

I also have a rMB that I really like. So now i'm torn a bit. I never liked the rMB keyboard as the travel was too shallow. The 13" is better. Also, the 13 is MUCH more powerful, even the 2.0. I'm just going to have to compare them for a while.

This no touch bar macbook pro seems like a rMB killer

Maccotto

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Hi
can you test the cpu and give us a geekbench test?
i Think 2.0 can be more slower than old version.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
IM glad you are enjoying the keyboard...I still have trouble typing on the wife rMB.
The new keyboard evolutionary looks like on-screen keyboard on iPad. Anyone feels the same? Could this be part of the plan to unified both of these worlds?

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
there is a review online with same comparison

Thanks, Great Video!

Now my rMBP 13 2013 really feels and really outdates although in comparison with other Notebooks it's still beautiful to work with.

The Keyboards sounds promising, combining the stability of the Butterfly mechanism with some more travel.

Now I can't wait for my MBP 15 to arrive. :):)

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Wow, I didn't notice the backlight. That a huge improvement. I always hated these. I've never complained about 'bleed', but those backlights were like 80% 'bleed'. :D. My rMB doesn't even have a backlight, and it's sorely missed. Don't know what they were thinking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.