Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dasein

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
I guess I will pick up a pair for running, since the originals keep falling out of my ears.
I thought I was the only one that had that problem...my ears were weird or something. Are these supposed to fit snug without having to hassle with them every 20 seconds?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
anyone have these yet? How would they compare with the shure e2cs? Do these isolate background noises like the shure's?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Sounds typical. I just want to know how long they will last. Since many earbuds, even good ones, tend to break after six months or so.

Glad to hear that they do sound much, much better than the pretty terrible earbuds that come with the iPods.

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
I'm tired of say-nothing pseudo reviews. "Buttery"? How about a real comparison of frequency response and other quantifiable facts, with accurate stats from a range of competitors products (etymotic, shure, bose) that relies on third-party gathered data and a large pool of independent double blind testers.

No, I guess it's just: "These earbuds are buttery. There's seriously freakin' butter dripping off of them because that's what I lubed them up with before putting the promo set in my ears. Now click on my affiliate link and buy some dang earbuds, loser."

I think the pill-case thing is a butter reservoir.
:rolleyes:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm tired of say-nothing pseudo reviews. "Buttery"? How about a real comparison of frequency response and other quantifiable facts, with accurate stats from a range of competitors products (etymotic, shure, bose) that relies on third-party gathered data and a large pool of independent double blind testers.

No, I guess it's just: "These earbuds are buttery. There's seriously freakin' butter dripping off of them because that's what I lubed them up with before putting the promo set in my ears. Now click on my affiliate link and buy some dang earbuds, loser."

I think the pill-case thing is a butter reservoir.
:rolleyes:

HA!

From Apple fan sites like those! HA!

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Does anyone think the next iPhone software update will enable the volume controls etc?

I'd like to get some better headphones than what came with the iPhone 3g but for $79 (I'm poor) I'd like to have a little increased functionality too.

I believe that it would have to be a hardware update (otherwise they would have released an update already, right?) on the headphone jack (unless it's already there cause they were already planning it...just like a three axis accelerometer just happened to be there).

iWizzard

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
These seam nice, but i hate cables I want wireless.
A2DP Bluetooth, apple plase? pretty please?

slimpaul

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2007
I'm happy to hear that the sound good, but will they sound better than the Bose On-Ear? If so, I could finally cary my earphones everywhere :rolleyes:

tbishh

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
Finally...These were announced in October. :mad:

I would think Apple would release an update for the iphone in 2.2.1. it'd be silly for their own product not to be fully compatible with one of the most sold and highly reguarded items they produce.

Has anyone bought or listened with them yet, and if so, are they worth $80??

synapse9579

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2008
I can't wait to pick up a pair of MyPhonies so that people think I'm cool! I might stop by the Apple store tonight to see if it's available!!

what is that thing that looks like a giant pill?

If it's like the Bose in-ear, the pill has the different ear bud sizes. S for Small and L for Large and the one attached to the headphones would be medium. That would be my guess.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Hell no, I don't know anybody who likes the stock iPod earphones.

And this blows my mind. How can Apple manufacture millions of headphones that NO ONE LIKES TO USE or can even keep in their ears? I really don't get it. :mad:

ogbuke

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
Sounds typical. I just want to know how long they will last. Since many earbuds, even good ones, tend to break after six months or so.

Glad to hear that they do sound much, much better than the pretty terrible earbuds that come with the iPods.

I agree after using mines for my new ipod touch, they are already falling apart.

ogbuke

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
Finally...These were announced in October. :mad:

I would think Apple would release an update for the iphone in 2.2.1. it'd be silly for their own product not to be fully compatible with one of the most sold and highly reguarded items they produce.

Has anyone bought or listened with them yet, and if so, are they worth $80??

It is compatible, you just can't change the volume with remote.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
I've read through this thread, but don't think these two particular questions have been answered. Forgive me if I missed them.

(1) External volume/click control issues aside, will these headphones work with the first generation iPhone?

(2) I know we all want a 2.x iPhone update to enable external volume/click controlling, but do we think such can be accomplished with a software update? I'm a novice on software vs. hardware updates. Sometimes it seems that only a hardware/next generation update can fix something, and sometimes it seems that a mere software update can do it. Just wondering how confident we are that a software update can fix it.

Thanks.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Hell no, I don't know anybody who likes the stock iPod earphones.

I kinda do. They're alright for casual listening, podcasts and phone calls. I'm still looking for an adequate replacement for the stock iPhone earbuds. I need something with a straight plug, not in-ear (gets dangerous when you don't hear what's happening around you and the wiggling cable noise drives me crazy) and the microphone and button, preferably not a thumb-sized gizmo in silver-look-alike finish and a big logo on it.

EDIT: The ultimate ears one look promising. I shall check those out.

If you're looking for great headphones in that price range, go for full sized ones. I reccomend the AKG K240 studios (very comfortable, great, open sound) and the Sennheiser HD280 Pro (superb isolation, beats noise canceling phones hands down, but you feel a bit closed off). Both will make you look like a complete dork if you wear them in the subway though. :p

Right now, I get warranty replacements every 2 or 3 months. Somehow, those earbuds wear off really fast, either one of the drivers, the plug, isolation, cable, microphon, rubber ring around the grille so that the grille falls out of the plastic... and I don't absue them either.

I expect those in-earbuds have the same cable and plug than the original ones, so I'd honestly recommend everyone here to stay away from them if you don't want to be bothered with warranty replacements.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
ear grinding white buds...

whenever I see folks wearing those white Apple buds I cringe. Those things are just horrible at any volume.

I'm sure these must be an improvement. Almost any effort would be and since they cost much more, they can't be anything but two times or more better.

But I still will stay with Ultimate Ears triple fi buds. Yes, it costs real money. And for another $100, I had molds made for them. That's it, I'm done.

But even the .5 super fi should beat these buds and are in the same price range I'd venture to guess.

The bar Apple was going for was so low I'd be willing to guess they have not matched ultimate ears or shure for similar cost.

gearkraft

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I really cant imagine these being worth the money for 80 bucks. You can find shure e2s, on sale shure e3's, or even sennheisers for the same price. I'd be curious to know if they outsourced the gutty-whats to a bigger audio company.

I'd also stake a big claim that just because they're white and match the overall apple aesthetic that this alone will be the big sell point. Like, "Oh, you've only got the normal iPod headphones, I just got these sweet upgraded ones." Most people cant tell the difference between garbage and quality...

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
And this blows my mind. How can Apple manufacture millions of headphones that NO ONE LIKES TO USE or can even keep in their ears? I really don't get it. :mad:

I don't think it is quite that dire. I would say very few consider the headphones to be top notch, but they do work and fit into many ears just fine. There are so many other distractions in day-to-day life, that having a pristine audio experience isn't always top priority for everyone.

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Who cares about the remote? I mean, sure the volume would be nice, but the real deal here is the dual drivers contained within the headphones for great sound. The song forward/back/pause still works.

I've been change my volume a lot - podcasts tend to be mastered at amazingly different levels, and frankly the sound level I require to comfortably hear while walking around my street is completely different from the sound level and track noise of being on the Tube.

Phazer

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hey Apple, fancy trading your useless old in-ear headphones for some new ones? I don't think I've used the old ones for more than a few minutes. I'll probably get a new pair when my current stock iPod headphones break.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.