Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Danny Boyle-directed and Aaron Sorkin-penned Steve Jobs film premiered last night at the 42nd Annual Telluride Film Festival in Colorado, and the first impressions of the biopic are surfacing on the internet this morning. Although not a full review of the movie, Deadline has posted a short opinion piece about the film, noting impressive directing, well-paced editing, and a script by Sorkin that is "even more effective" than his Oscar-winning work on The Social Network.

stevejobsmovie-800x360.jpg
It's a companion piece to Sorkin's Oscar-winning The Social Network screenplay -- but even more effective. Boyle said the script is 200 pages and it is densely filled with the kind of dialogue only Sorkin seems to specialize in these days. It's actually thrilling to listen to, an action movie driven almost exclusively by words, a rare thing for sure in today's visually driven cinema.

[Boyle's] direction is flawless and really keeps this thing moving, avoiding the static pace it might have been in lesser hands. The result is well worth it, and those magical words provided lots of opportunity for great acting performances led by Michael Fassbender's spot-on and relentless portrayal of the not-very-likable computer genius.
Notably, Deadline also caught up with Steve Wozniak at Telluride to get his opinion on the film, which partially portrays Wozniak's own life as well with Seth Rogen in the role of the Apple co-founder. Wozniak was enthusiastic about the movie, calling it "authentic" and particularly praising Kate Winslet's performance as Macintosh marketing chief Joanna Hoffman.
When I caught up with him Wozniak told me that, unlike the Jobs biopic with Ashton Kutcher, this one is totally authentic. "I saw a rough cut and I felt like I was actually watching Steve Jobs and the others (including Rogen's dead-on portrayal of Wozniak), not actors playing them, I give full credit to Danny Boyle and Aaron Sorkin for getting it so right," he enthusiastically told me, He adding that of all the actors in the film he thinks Winslet might be the most likely to garner awards attention.
The movie was portrayed as a "work in progress" to the attendees at Telluride, due to the fact that Boyle and his workers are still tweaking and editing parts of the movie. With just about a month to go until the film's wide release, it's likely small details like sound cues and other small edits that will make the Telluride screening largely similar to the final movie.

Other sites have begun posting full-length reviews, including Variety, who compares Sorkin's three-act, multiple time period structure to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Also of note is a neat detail that Boyle shot each time period on era-relevant formats, a fact along with Boyle's uncharacteristically restrained direction that Variety particularly liked.
Working with d.p. Alwin Kutchler, Boyle sometimes sends the camera hurtling after the characters in lengthy, down-the-corridor tracking shots; elsewhere, the brief transitional snippets between acts feature some fairly aggressive stylization, in line with his usual m.o. But for the most part, this is the filmmaker's most reined-in picture in some time, as if a too-kinetic approach would interfere with the verbal energy of Sorkin's script.

Besides Guy Hendrix Dyas' unobtrusively excellent production design, the picture's major visual coup is the decision to shoot the three acts on three different formats: grainy 16mm film for 1984, lustrous 35mm for 1988, and sleek, high-definition digital for 1998. The distinctions may well be lost on the vast majority of viewers, but it's just the sort of nicely understated aesthetic flourish that Steve Jobs himself would have surely appreciated.
Indiewire gave the film a B+, pointing out good performances from the cast and the movie's decision to focus on three highly stressful points in Jobs' life to showcase his true personality, ultimately calling it "a kind of "Birdman" for the tech sector," thanks to its real-time accounts of some highly dramatic backstage moments prior to a big show. The website also noted, however, that Sorkin's dialogue can suffer from "constant overstatement" and some foreshadowing to Apple's future feels "unnecessary."

The movie currently sits at a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, but still has just five reviews collected at the time of writing. Although it's still just a handful positive opinions, it's a bit more encouraging as we enter the final stretch before the October 9 theatrical debut, especially for a film that's been a large source of speculation and rumors for so many years now.

Update: Oscar buzz is also surrounding the film coming out of Telluride, with Michael Fassbender's performance getting thrown into the Best Actor category along with other frontrunners like Johnny Depp in Black Mass and Eddie Redmayne in The Danish Girl.

Article Link: First Impressions of 'Steve Jobs' Film: 'Thrilling... an Action Movie Driven Almost Exclusively by Words'

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Does anyone here think this movie will be good and not cliche Hollywood BS. Was not a fan of the social network.

I would WAY rather an in depth documentary over a movie like this. Same goes for Straight Outta Compton movie. Would've way rather a documentary so we can get some accurate info

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
I haven't been this excited since the iPhone came out

Does anyone here think this movie will be good and not cliche Hollywood BS. Was not a fan of the social network.

I would WAY rather an in depth documentary over a movie like this. Same goes for Straight Outta Compton movie. Would've way rather a documentary so we can get some accurate info

The social network was literally perfect. If you want a documentary check out cnns from last week.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Awesome! Really looking forward to this - it can't get much worse than the previous attempt. It should help that this is an adaptation of the biography.

I had just finished the Isaacson biography weeks prior to seeing the first 'Jobs' film. It seemed anyone who hadn't read the biography previously loved the movie but anyone who had was utterly disappointed. It was not a very thorough portrayal, IMHO.

Reactions: Gasu E.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Wait a minute, so users of MacRumors were wrong (yet again) and this is actually a brilliant film? Shocking.

Congrats on the filmmakers and everyone involved. Will definitely be watching this opening night.
When did Macrumors post a subjective opinion on this movie?

Designx

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
I hate fiction and don't usually watch movies. I would prefer a documentary on the subject - not an "acted" recreation of events. I guess I'll wait for something more accurate to appear in the future.

I've found there are already many YouTube videos of Steve Jobs speaking and doin keynotes. I'm not sure a movie is even needed if you can go back and watch it from the man himself.

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
This means Lee Byung-chul, the movie about Samsung's founder, should be released in about 6 months. Its storyline will be identical (they'll just search-and-replace some names).

Heed this search and replace cautionary tale from Michael Scott, aka Agent Michael Scarn, Samsung :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 393
Reactions: Jason83

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Wait a minute, so users of MacRumors were wrong (yet again) and this is actually a brilliant film? Shocking.

Congrats on the filmmakers and everyone involved. Will definitely be watching this opening night.
Doesn't surprise me. Aaron Sorkin knows what he's doing, and I'm glad to say I've graduated from the same high school as him :D

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
I'm guessing it's going to be his standard obnoxious writing like Newsroom or the Social Network.

He always has characters talking three times as fast, firing off tons of witty responses, manifestos and jargon all to sound "intelligent" and "important". Worse the lines are always delivered with that flat sarcasm of a depressed teenage girl who wears a lot of black.

The review that says this is an action movie with words makes me confident in my guess even more.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
He always has characters talking three times as fast, firing off tons of witty responses, manifestos and jargon all to sound "intelligent" and "important". Worse the lines are always delivered with that flat sarcasm of a depressed teenage girl who wears a lot of black.

The review that says this is an action movie with words makes me confident in my guess even more.
This doesn't even get into the "plot holes big enough to drive trucks through" problem or "impossible/improbable" scenarios staged as if they are grounded in reality.

Sorkin is always pretzel bending story and character in order to put a "message" in where none need be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.