First Impressions, part 2 from a Windows convert

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by elgrecomac, Jan 27, 2008.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

So now I’ve had the MBP for over a week. I’ve installed MS office 2008 and got Time Machine to work after a bit of a tussle(Had to do the Mac equivalent of the Windows three finger tango a couple of times). Plus I installed a few gadgets.
    Most importantly, got Fusion up and running completely, specifically:
    1. XP pro went in with no problem
    2. Installed Vsio and Project with no problem
    3. Got VPN working between my home and office in windows, in fusion
    4. And got windows Remote Desktop working off of my office server via the VPN connection, in fusion under windows….cool.

I continue to be impressed with this forum and the helpfulness of it’s members .Given Apple’s tech support capabilities, we are all in this together.

The only thing I really miss is teh RIGHT BUTTON on the mouse.....does anyone have a suggestion on a bluetooth 2 button mouse that is MAC friendly?

thanks all!

2. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

What's wrong with the mighty mouse? Like I keep telling my gf, you can right click with it like you can on any other mouse, provided you've set the right side as 'secondary button' in System Preferences.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Exactly. You might need to change in a setting in system preferences to enable it though.

4. echoout macrumors 6502a

In 10 years of video production and Mac use I have never actually used an Apple mouse or seen anyone who has. I guess maybe the old puck mouse convinced me this wasn't Apple's strong-suit. I have always left them in the packaging to sell with the machine later. That being said, so many of the folks I've worked with have moved to tablets and don't use mice anymore, so there you go.

5. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

MM sucks pure and simple. The scroll ball just refuse to scroll after a couple of months' dirt buildup. The annoying thing is you gotta hack it up to get rid of the dirt underneath. Not really user-serviceable.

6. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Logitech's bluetooth mice get my vote btw.

elgrecomac, check out Logitech's site, and specfically the MX Air. Sorta fancy kinda mouse where you can wave it in the air for control as well. But either one of their bluetooth mice should be suffice for your use.

Let me know what you think.

7. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

there is a semi decent VPN client built into OS X as well as Remote Desktop by Microsoft which is available here. Though it won't work with my office's VPN because it requires proprietary software(which can be emulated with VPN Tracker) but yours may or may not need something more than what OS X has. I would try it unless you need to be in windows to do other things while on the vpn.

8. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

In response to hakuryuu

Need window due to MS Visio and MS project...both are industry standards used by all my clients. As for VPN, most of my clients IT Orgs won't touch a mac let alone help me with any connectivity issues. So the least line of resistance is to be 'windows' and be done with it. There are battles to fight and other that are un-winable....unfortunately.

All the best.

9. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

The MM is a bit delicate, but all that's required to unclog the scroll button is a couple of blasts of compressed air.

10. Norco macrumors regular

I don't use a bluetooth mouse (although that would be nice), but I prefer MS mice. I've always had good luck with them and I really like my wireless ergonomic one.

11. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

That can't get rid of all the dirt and it will work only for awhile. There are various other ingenious methods like turning the MM upside down, and rolling the scroll button on a piece of paper to get rid of the filth, but it's a temporary measure. The best way is to open it up and clean the filth. And when you do, you will be disgusted to find the amount of dirt in it.

12. kps macrumors regular

No, not like any other mouse. Clicking the right side still registers as a left click unless you lift your left finger away from the mouse.

13. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

I have a love / hate relationship with the MM... I actually love the tiny scroll ball and the expose buttons on the sides. My biggest problem is the lack of consistency with right clicking. I have seriously bought and returned 6 different mice, always coming back to the MM.

14. JonasLondon macrumors regular

Love everything about a Mac except for their mice - I got a Wacom A5wide Intuos tablet and a LogitechMX Revolution mouse to combat that tiny shortcoming though. Can't recommend any of those two high enough, splendid items that speed up your workflow.

15. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I had to perform an operation on mine.

Had to completely dismantle it, and unclog it from the inside.

It's not as simple as you'd think, and a bad design when you see how hard it is to get to.

That said, once cleaned, a joy to use.