First impressions - Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BasilFawlty, Jul 22, 2011.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Yesterday I installed my new 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid hard drive in my 2009 Unibody MacBook to replace the OEM 160GB hard drive. So far I'm impressed. Everything seems to open more quickly and the boot time have been cut in half after a few cycles. The drive is very quiet, which surprises me since I read somewhere these were a bit noisy - not this one. It is a 7200RPM drive with 32MB regular cache, which already makes it a nice drive. But it's the 4GB of smart Flash memory attached that allows it "remember" what files are opened frequently and puts that stuff in flash (that's why it now boots so much faster).

Anyway, it's too early to tell my overall impressions, but so far I'm impressed and happy I spent a little extra for the hybrid version.

2. Eradik macrumors regular

Mine is coming tomorrow!

I know its only been 5 days, but how is it working? Still going strong?

I've read horror stories, so I'm just wondering!

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've been VERY pleased since installing a Momentus 500XT in my 2010 15" i5 MBP that replaced my 320GB original drive. I've had it since January and just upgraded the firmware from SD23 to SD25...works even better than before...fast, quite and so far, VERY reliable...couldn't be happier (well, at least until I can purchase a 500GB SSD for under $500)...:)