Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I just purchased a T1i earlier this week, my first SLR in 10 years. In fact, my last SLR (an EOS Elan IIe) was a 35mm film camera (that has been sitting locked in a Pelican case for the last 10 years!). So after a couple of point and shoot digital cameras, including the Panasonic DM20 most recently... it's good to be back!

Strangely, not much has actually changed in the 15 years since I purchased my Elan IIe (focus modes, metering modes, scene modes, etc.) yet, a couple of things have gone backwards. For example... What ever happened to eye controlled focus points? That was an amazingly helpful way to select a focus point back in 1996... it's shocking to me that even high-end Canon digital SLR's do not have that feature today! :confused:

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my old RC1 remote, not only worked with my new T1i, but it's batteries were still good! :eek: Less surprising is the fact that the old EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM lens works perfectly fine with the T1i.

What I like about the T1i...

Nice size and weight: Although I lust for a 7D, I felt it was too hefty and I'd end up not carrying it around as much as a result. I don't know why it's soo heavy?! Anyway, the T1i is just right. I'm not abusive with my equipment so the fact that the case is plastic is just fine with me.
LCD display: Probably the most amazing display available on a camera!? It makes a huge difference for judging exposure of shots on the camera although it's still inadequate for gauging whether you really nailed a sharply focused shot. Slightly out of focus shots will still look deceivingly good on this tiny display. I also like the fact that it displays all the camera settings, the same info you'd see on the top LCD display of a bigger pro SLR. Toggling between live view and settings is easy as well. I find it helpful to use live view sometimes when framing a shot when the camera is low to the ground or on a tripod sometimes.
The Menus: Very easy to navigate and structured so you don't need to scroll vertically through menu items... well thought out.
Battery compartment: I like the plastic tab that holds the battery in place so that the battery compartment door is NOT what holds the battery.

Some ergonomic things that could be improved IMHO...

The wheel: To adjust some things like exposure compensation, you have to hold down a button while turning the wheel... this is just unnecessary. How about press the button to select that item, then turn the wheel and then press the button when done? I find myself accidentally not applying enough pressure to the button while turning the wheel sometimes and changing my Av or Tv setting unintentionally. :mad:
The placement of buttons: Why is the ISO button at the top - is that the most frequently used button for most people? (If so, I guess I better start using it! :eek:) Ideally, all the display mode buttons would be together... menu, disp, live view, playback/review. :rolleyes:
The port cover: is a big rubber plug... why not use a hinged plastic door as they do for the SD slot door?
No Revert button: It would be nice to have a "revert to normal settings button" so, say you change focus modes or the focus point or the exposure compensation... with one button press, you can be back to your normal settings.
Cropped viewfinder: Why is the viewfinder in the lower end camera's cropped? Is it a lot more expensive to provide a full viewfinder?

That's all for now. I've only taken a few photos so far (see below), and I forgot what good photos an SLR can capture. Nice exposure, sharp focus, good color... I'm shocked how good the initial shots look compared to my old FZ20. :)

The following photos were taking using long exposures (3-4 seconds) at f11 on a tripod in Gastown (Vancouver, BC). No post processing except to crop the last photo a tiny bit.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 144

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
I just purchased a T1i earlier this week, my first SLR in 10 years. In fact, my last SLR (an EOS Elan IIe) was a 35mm film camera (that has been sitting locked in a Pelican case for the last 10 years!). So after a couple of point and shoot digital cameras, including the Panasonic DM20 most recently... it's good to be back!

Strangely, not much has actually changed in the 15 years since I purchased my Elan IIe (focus modes, metering modes, scene modes, etc.) yet, a couple of things have gone backwards. For example... What ever happened to eye controlled focus points? That was an amazingly helpful way to select a focus point back in 1996... it's shocking to me that even high-end Canon digital SLR's do not have that feature today! :confused:

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my old RC1 remote, not only worked with my new T1i, but it's batteries were still good! :eek: Less surprising is the fact that the old EF 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM lens works perfectly fine with the T1i.

What I like about the T1i...

Nice size and weight: Although I lust for a 7D, I felt it was too hefty and I'd end up not carrying it around as much as a result. I don't know why it's soo heavy?! Anyway, the T1i is just right. I'm not abusive with my equipment so the fact that the case is plastic is just fine with me.
LCD display: Probably the most amazing display available on a camera!? It makes a huge difference for judging exposure of shots on the camera although it's still inadequate for gauging whether you really nailed a sharply focused shot. Slightly out of focus shots will still look deceivingly good on this tiny display. I also like the fact that it displays all the camera settings, the same info you'd see on the top LCD display of a bigger pro SLR. Toggling between live view and settings is easy as well. I find it helpful to use live view sometimes when framing a shot when the camera is low to the ground or on a tripod sometimes.
The Menus: Very easy to navigate and structured so you don't need to scroll vertically through menu items... well thought out.
Battery compartment: I like the plastic tab that holds the battery in place so that the battery compartment door is NOT what holds the battery.

Some ergonomic things that could be improved IMHO...

The wheel: To adjust some things like exposure compensation, you have to hold down a button while turning the wheel... this is just unnecessary. How about press the button to select that item, then turn the wheel and then press the button when done? I find myself accidentally not applying enough pressure to the button while turning the wheel sometimes and changing my Av or Tv setting unintentionally. :mad:
The placement of buttons: Why is the ISO button at the top - is that the most frequently used button for most people? (If so, I guess I better start using it! :eek:) Ideally, all the display mode buttons would be together... menu, disp, live view, playback/review. :rolleyes:
The port cover: is a big rubber plug... why not use a hinged plastic door as they do for the SD slot door?
No Revert button: It would be nice to have a "revert to normal settings button" so, say you change focus modes or the focus point or the exposure compensation... with one button press, you can be back to your normal settings.

That's all for now. I've only taken a few photos so far (see below), and I forgot what good photos an SLR can capture. Nice exposure, sharp focus, good color... I'm shocked how good the initial shots look compared to my old FZ20. :)

The following photos were taking using long exposures (3-4 seconds) at f11 on a tripod in Gastown (Vancouver, BC). No post processing except to crop the last photo a tiny bit.

amazing shots..i just got mine yesterday, and i've been messing with it..but no shots like yours..lol. you obviously have past expierence and you know what your doing. it was just the camera holding you back.:D

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
amazing shots..i just got mine yesterday, and i've been messing with it..but no shots like yours..lol. you obviously have past expierence and you know what your doing. it was just the camera holding you back.:D

Thanks! Although I still have a lot to learn... don't we all?! ;)

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Thanks! Although I still have a lot to learn... don't we all?! ;)

yes yes, your right. i can't get good over night or just in taking a few hundred photos..thats what i have to keep teling myself..lol..i know i'll soon be able to take amazing shots like people on this forum.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I spent some more time with the T1i today.

I was walking around Deep Cove and decided to test the ability of the IS with the shot of the ferns.

The first photo is taken hand-held at ISO 100 resulting in a 1/6th f3.5 exposure. The IS worked fantastic, producing a nice crisp foreground.

The second photo was taken at Auto ISO resulting in a 1/30th f4.0 exposure with ISO ending up at 1250.

Now, I must point out, that I thought of taking the second photo on my way back so lighting and composure are slightly different, and I cropped the first photo to match the second but there's no other post processing involved. The end result is that the IS works very very well.

web.jpg
web.jpg

Here's a link to high-res downloadable versions on MobileMe

This photo is included just to capture the mood of the day... dreary!

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    900.4 KB · Views: 118

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Here's a few more photos from the T1i... this time focused on product shots as a test and learning experience (you can see I'm playing with narrow depth of field here).

One thing I'm super impressed with is how the auto white balance works to capture the original lighting without introducing any unwanted tint.

For example, the first two images are clearly shot under fluorescent lighting while the last one was shot under the halogen track lighting. Again, no post processing except to crop the last shot.

BTW, if anyone else want's to contribute with their own T1i thoughts and impressions, feel free! :)

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    830.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    768.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 115

booyaaah

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
Great pictures!
I have always wanted to learn how to take nice photos and this thread increases the urge. :p
I googled after some reviews of the Rebel T1i and damn it seems like a fine piece. :D

stevejobbers

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
I've been looking at the T1i for a while now, and i'm about ready to purchase. i did have a few questions though if you don't mind :)

1) For action shots, how fast is the burst mode? About 3 fps? And for how many seconds can you continuously take shots like that before the camera needs a break? 5 seconds? 10?

2) How is the integration between the T1i and an Apple computer? I have an iMac running Snow Leopard -- can you just plug in the camera and pull off the files or do you need special software?

3) How is the base lens included in the kit? I've heard mixed things and often times people recommend better lenses but I have yet to see any suggestions of what to go after. I'm fairly new to these types of cameras and was wondering if you had any suggestions of better lenses.

I think that's it for now :)

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm afraid I haven't had a chance to play around with the burst mode yet... I recall from the specs that you are right about the 3fps though. If someone else doesn't chime in prior, I'll look into it further this evening.

The T1i seems to work well with the Mac. I've been using it with iPhoto and have iPhoto configured to start whenever the camera is connected. I simply connect it with the USB cable and turn on the camera and iPhoto comes to life and very quickly produces thumbnails of the photos stored on the camera. The transfer speed of the photos to the Mac is much faster than my old camera. Oddly, the couple of times I've disconnected or turned off the camera without "dismounting" it from iPhoto, there's been no complaints. My old camera use to appear as a mounted volume on the desktop and OSX would obviously complain if I ever disconnected it without first ejecting. I guess that OSX recognizes this properly as a camera and not just a mass storage device like my old camera. Anyway, it's very seamless.

I'm not one to judge the quality of lenses, but the research I've done is that the kit lens is actually very good for a kit lens. I've certainly got no complaints so far, but personally I'm going to upgrade to the 17-55 f2.8 IS as it offers more flexibility with the constant f2.8, better build quality, and reportedly better image quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.