Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm5309

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
It is completely gorgeous, and I'm in love with the thing. The keyboard is different, for sure, but I'm finding I like it better. I'm typing this right now as my husband sleeps beside me, and it is quiet, as I am gliding more than hammering away. I never felt this way toward my 13" 2011 MBA, and it didn't get much use. This is the sweet spot for me. Gorgeous screen, light weight, small...it's just a nice little machine. :)

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
The only thing I am missing, and literally the only thing, is the led on the head of the mag safe showing red for charging and green for charged. I liked that quick glance with the lid closed to see and that lacks with the new USB C cable. My only gripe.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
The only thing I am missing, and literally the only thing, is the led on the head of the mag safe showing red for charging and green for charged. I liked that quick glance with the lid closed to see and that lacks with the new USB C cable. My only gripe.

really really liked this too. it sucks to have this indicator gone.

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
to be honest I don't see any problem on the photo with regard to the backlight !!

Yes, mine is like that but it looks slightly worse in person. The letter keys are fine but every other key has a fair degree of variation. Not what I expected or what was claimed IMHO. I still love it but I'm just a little disappointed in that aspect.

----------

where can you buy the office for mac 2015 version when it come available, in the app store ???

I've been using Excel and Word 2015 Preview for a month or so now, and I've had zero problems. Just the odd little bug here and there (which I always report to MS). They're both infinitely better than Office 2011.

What kind of issues do you have ?

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
what is your experience with the camera ?

haven't used it for actual FaceTime yet but it is obviously not the quality of the airs or pros. its grainy but it works. even with my air FaceTime quality was always suspect anyways so it doesn't phase me. i have a 6 plus if i need the "quality".

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I just played around with a base gold at the Grand Central NY store.

Initial Impressions:

The keyboard is instantly responsive, I liked the feel of the keys, I know if I had one of these I'd definitely be a-okay within an hour or two.

The system itself was very responsive, iMovie launched fast, no throttling with this, safari, mail and Numbers open.

I'm a trackpad spaz so I really couldn't comment on what the force touch is like, outside of the trackpad being more responsive than I remember.

Gold color was nice, no space grays on display. No one was around to ask if they were in stock.

Screen is gorgeous, but too small for my needs. I was able to read the resolution which is great (various Macbooks on display were set at different resolutions. I did not check what resolutions but the one I was testing had very small text and for me to read that is a beautiful thing). I need more room screenwise.

It felt very sturdy picking it up.

If Apple made a 14" I'd definitely consider.

Very nice indeed.

brvhrt

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
That was my biggest concern deciding between keeping my 13" rMBP and jumping ship to the nMB. I have a nMP that does most of the encoding on Final Cut but I do travel with my rMBP and encode short (4-6 minute) videos every couple of months. Good to know that the nMB should be able to handle that. Thanks

FCPX 30 minute video with 1080p source files, transitions, text, etc exported to 1080p project took 18 minutes. Bottom center got mildly warm but I was still using it wearing shorts with no issues. At the same time browsing safari, uploading Photos library for the first time and running various other mail, notes apps, etc. No stuttering, lag or any such. It's very weird - it doesn't seem like it can handle it but it can. My latest model rMBP would have done it quicker but it would be warmer and blowing the fans like no tomorrow. I can wait an extra few minutes for a video to encode.

I was very skeptical when it was first announced and laughed at the specs like many others but I gave it a shot and it has totally surprised me. I probably won't be the only one with egg on my face :D

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
Gold color was nice, no space grays on display. No one was around to ask if they were in stock.

I was just at Grand Central on Tuesday, they had 6 display models on a table. 2 of each color, Silver, Space Gray, and Gold. How is it possible they are no longer on display and what did they fill up the table with in the 2 empty spots? Each end of the table was lined in this order: Silver, then Gold, then Space Gray.. with each similar color across from each other on the other end.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
FCPX 30 minute video with 1080p source files, transitions, text, etc exported to 1080p project took 18 minutes. Bottom center got mildly warm but I was still using it wearing shorts with no issues. At the same time browsing safari, uploading Photos library for the first time and running various other mail, notes apps, etc. No stuttering, lag or any such. It's very weird - it doesn't seem like it can handle it but it can. My latest model rMBP would have done it quicker but it would be warmer and blowing the fans like no tomorrow. I can wait an extra few minutes for a video to encode.

I was very skeptical when it was first announced and laughed at the specs like many others but I gave it a shot and it has totally surprised me. I probably won't be the only one with egg on my face :D

1.1 or 1.2? Took me 24 minutes to export a 10 minute 1080p video in the medium quality setting in iMovie on my base model. How did you export a 30 minute video in only 18?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I was just at Grand Central on Tuesday, they had 6 display models on a table. 2 of each color, Silver, Space Gray, and Gold. How is it possible they are no longer on display and what did they fill up the table with in the 2 empty spots? Each end of the table was lined in this order: Silver, then Gold, then Space Gray.. with each similar color across from each other on the other end.

Ha ha, well that's what I saw. Whether or not that was my dragon sickness, sleep deprivation or they added another table's worth who knows.

:p

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Just to note: 48000Hz 16 bit is as high as it gets. No 24 bit DAC on this baby.

Not a deal breaker [I'm sure the iPhone/iPad have similar, but just to put it out there for those wondering]

Strangely though, INPUT supports 96000 32 bit floating point. /shrug

brvhrt

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
I can't imagine .1GHz being that much faster. What was the size of the exported file? Maybe FCP is better optimized than iMovie?

No idea- I deleted it but that was the performance for FCPX. I was just surprised it actually worked. Most of my videos are only a few minutes long so very happy indeed.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I've only had mine for a few hours of use. Most of that time has been use installing software. I'm now downloading Office Beta.

It got hot while updating the OS and then running other installs. But it was only a small area of the bottom of the case, near the back edge. It did not get uncomfortable hot on my jeans. Maybe shorts would be a different story. But in general use it runs cool to warm.

Clean My Mac 3 runs fine, as does f.lux.

A couple of oddities at the Apple Store during the initial setup. First FileVault was on as default. Also for some reason we had to add another fake user, and then delete the fake user during some part of the initial setup. No it was not our mistake, the Apple guy said it was a anomaly that happened for everyone. Odd.

All in all I'm very happy with this purchase.

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
For anyone interested in size comparisons of the new Macbook, I unboxed and compared mine to the iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 Plus, Note Pro 12.2, and Macbook Pro Retina 15.4", in terms of size and thinness. Check out my video if you want to see the comparisons, and gold stickers!

Really enjoying mine so far, unfortunately my L key is not working at all so I may need to get a replacement, still love it a lot though!

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
I picked up the gold 256gb from best buy on the way to work this morning. It's beautiful and the manager at best buy when I called held one aside for me to pick up.

I'm amazed at how light it is and it's going to drown in my big ass messenger bag.

However the centurion for lack of a better term at best buy would not honor my coupon for 10 percent off. Luckily I work 1-9 and will have plenty of time to play with it tonight

i'd contact the manager. your coupon should be honored. even on a sale item. i just bought at bb a 2014 mba 11 that was on sale for 800. the coupon was accepted so i saved 80 dollars.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015

you'd make a good witness.

saifrc

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
I'm bumping this thread, just so that new recipients coming to this forum know they have a place to share their first impressions...

rahulr

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
North Carolina
Has that worked ok for you? I have SO many issues with Excel. Almost not useable.

Update Excel to the newest version. I had constant problems till the April 15 update. My cursor would disappear, my mouse would stop working, excel would hang.

Since 4/15, I've had zero issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.