Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A is jump

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
San Francisco, Ca
I just ordered a MBP, this will be the first Intel mac I own.
I know that OS10.4 is only 32bit for intel... but the core2duos are capable of 64bit right? what advantages would i see if I'm using logic pro (assuming apple ever updates logic pro to 64bit)
when they release 10.5 it will be 64 bit, but will the 64 bit OSX tax the computer more than the 32bit version?

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
There will be no performance "tax" for OS X for 64-bit applications, that a user would notice. Behind the scenes there may be a bit more overhead since you can work with bigger things and more memory, but it's not something most of us should worry about.

64-bit is a good thing

A is jump

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
San Francisco, Ca
thanks for the replies. I'm trying to grasp the concept, so I apologise for the poorly asked question.
I'm sure these will be just as poorly asked...

if i have two identical MBPs one running a 32bit version of OS10.4 and an application (lets say logic pro for example) and then the other running a theoretical version of OS10.4 that is 64bits, also running a version of the same application. what will the difference be? I understand that the 64bit version will be able to access more memory,
but if the data units are all 64bits... which is more information than 32bits... will the CPU have to work harder to process the same ammount of information? or is that not how it works?
again I apologise as I do not quite understand this idea, and the wiki article is confusing me more than helping.

A is jump

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
San Francisco, Ca
Ok. That is making some sense... The pros and cons section was particularly interesting.

So, the main benifits of 64bit processing that I will see, since I am not doing Scientific computing, working with digital video, or dealing with a huge database... the only benifit that i will probably notice is the increase in accessible memory? though maybe that wont be as noticeable... since the same data will occupy more space?
is the PPC version of OSX Tiger 64bit?

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Tiger is 64-bit on the unix layer only, on both PPC, and intel!

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
Leopard will bring 64-bit support to Carbon and Cocoa layer. Leopard can run 64-bit and 32-bit applications natively side by side and the 64-bit applications won't be emulated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.