First intel Mac Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MAC MAN JW, Sep 5, 2011.

1. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

Hi, i will be getting my First intel mac tomorrow it is a macbook 1.83GHz "Core Duo" i won it off ebay for $200 it has 512mb ram 60GB Hard Drive. i sold my iPod touch 4g for this so i hope i like macbooks. :D Being i only have (tel now) PowerPc macs is intel macs very different from PPC Macs? i got this for my macbook already 1Gb Ram+256Mb (256mb in it) Snow Leopard from Apple online store is there any thing more you can think of? i know it can not run Lion But i have never used Snow Leopard any way so it is new to me. What are some good free/ low $ apps for intel macs? i will love being able to run the latest versions of software/web browsers:)

Any Help Is Welcome:):):)

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Intel Macs are the same experience as PowerPC... just faster and more power efficient.

Shove 2GB of RAM in it and you're good to go.

3. MAC MAN JW thread starter macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

Thank You, i plan to get 2gb ram after i get it :) do you know of any good apps for a macbook? :)

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

All of them ;)

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

A lot are good apps but dont expect any hardcore heavy apps.
    Those wont run on Core Duo since they are only single processor.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This makes no sense. I can see some apps refusing to run or running poorly because the Core Duo is not 64-bit, but not because it's a single processor. Any applications that absolutely require (not just recommend) 2 processors are not going to be in the purview of anyone asking the questions the OP is asking.

You may be thinking of cores, but you're just as wrong there; a Core Duo processor is dual core (hence the "Duo" in its name) as well.

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You still have access to the Mac App Store in Snow Leopard, and you will find many great apps in there. Here are the ones I recommend based on my personal use:

Microsoft Office (pay, CD purchased)
    VMWare Fusion + Windows XP (paid, download...download an OEM version of Windows and use a license key from another computer...this is quasi-legal, but at least it is still legal)
    Google Chrome (It is not my main browser, but if this floats your boat, its available)
    MindNode (Free, don't know if it still is, Mac App Store)
    Google SketchUp (Free, Fun to play with)
    RapidWeaver (perfect for building websites, paid)
    FaceTime for Mac (paid for Snow Leopard, Free for Lion (inc), Mac App Store)
    SmartConverter (Free, HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS!)

As for accessorizing your new Mac, I recommend:

Apple Bluetooth Mouse (whether Magic or Mighty, this is your call, I use the MightyMouse as I got it for free from a friend).
    Apple Keyboard
    Apple Mini-DVI adapter for an external monitor
    A MacBook Stand
    An External Monitor
    An External Hard Drive for Time Machine backups

I Officially delegated my MacBook to be my main computer today, and the G5 has sold. I am happy with my decision and now am fully Intel!

9. MAC MAN JW thread starter macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

Thank You for your help :) i will look in to the apps you listed. now i am just waiting for apple to ship Snow Leopard so i can try my macbook. the funny thing is i was not planning on getting a macbook from the $ from my ipod but was looking for a big stereo, but when i looked at apple computers on ebay i do look every time i go on ebay that is how i got 8 of my 12 PPC Macs i seen the macbook and was ending in 22min and was at $156 i won it for $200 :) as i was on my powerbook and more and more adobe flash web pages do not work any more i found the macbook is just what i need :) now comes the fun part downloading the 10.6.8 update on 1mbps wi-fi (but i will take it over dial-up any day) :D I will look into the keybord,mouse,monitor,back up hd as well. Thank You!

----------

The only somewhat heavy App i will be runing is iLife 09 :)

10. MAC MAN JW thread starter macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

Update: Well i got the macbook from ebay and the screen flickers but it does not on low screen brightness (i can live with that) so after my research i found out i need a new inverter board so i found one on ebay and bought it i looked on ifixit.com on how to put it in and i know i can do it:) the bad news is i lost the inverter board and can not find it anyware:mad: long story short i went on cragslist and found a 2.4GHz macbook in like new shape for $430 (Needed a fast mac for my last year in high school any way:D) i got it and it is super fast and now i can run Lion if i want:D. i will still use the ebay macbook tell the inverter board quits and by then mayby i will find the inverter board i bought for it:D

11. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

Nice everyday apps:
    Quicksilver
    The Unarchiver
    Transmission
    XLD
    Dropbox