First iPad, a few questions

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Charlie74, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Charlie74 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody, first time poster but I've been following you guys for about a month. In fact it was the comments here that finally pushed me to buy an iPad. I bought the iPad Air 2 because I would like to use it for music creation.

I ran into some problems though, I need to run three different apps at the same time while playing music through them, again at the same time, a beat, bass and synthesizer app. It's seems though iOS is only able to run one app at a time, pausing anything that is sent to the background. Is this correct, if so, that's a pretty big limitation for me. I like recording everything in a live session, I don't want to have to create each track separately and than combine them later.

Another problem is default apps, how do I change Safari as my default browser, I would like to set Chrome as the default, it's crossed platform, which is important to me. Also, even though I installed OneDrive, most of the apps doesn't recognize it being installed, am I right to believe that apps are independent from the system and have to be programmed first to support things like OneDrive, if so, it would also explain why when I click on share, most of the apps I have installed don't show up their either, again, that's a pretty big disadvantage.

Anyway any clarification on these things would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to have to buy two more iPads just to be able to play music from three different sources at once.

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

daflake

I think that you really should have done a bit more research on the iPad. Yes, most apps will hybernate when they go to the background, so there is really no way to make multiple apps play when not active. This is by design and has really been for a long time, it is done to save memory and battery life. If you were looking for true multitasking, you needed to probably find a tablet that runs a full OS.

Again, Apple really only allows limited control on their OS. If you want to change defaults, that really isn't going to happen unless you are willing to jailbreak your device. Only then will you be able to change default settings.

3. Charlie74, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014

Charlie74 thread starter macrumors newbie

This
    Your right, I should have done some research, I just assumed that iOS had full multitasking now, especially after being on the market for so long. It will be a problem as I also tried running a terminal session in the background, it closed the connection to my server the second I minimized it. This is a really important thing for me as I use remote terminals to keep an eye on servers at work. Again, I just assumed I would have a similar experience with multitasking as my Sony Z2 or Surface Pro 3, not to sound like an ******* but I havent seen an OS not be able to run an app in the background in like 20 years. Since I still like the music apps I just might keep using it solely as an instrument data bank for my keyboard. As far as using it for work or other tasks, that's a definite no go, I already have a device for reading content, which I can even take in the bathtub with me and I don't play games. That and not being able to run apps in the background would drive me crazy after a while.

Thank you very much for your reply, I'll read the fine print next time.

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

daflake

I actually agree with you on all points. I wish that Apple would open up a little more and let us have more control over the devices, however, they also do it to keep things simplistic. Maybe one day without a jailbreak.

I would imagine that your Surface Pro should be up to the job though.