First iPad, how could outside use be improved?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mclarenracer, Mar 26, 2012.

1. mclarenracer macrumors newbie

Just wondering, using the new iPad is a treat, love it.

My question is on how people use their iPad outdoors, the screen being very reflective, the brightness gets ramped up but still doesn't compensate enough

I stay in Scotland where I will only have this problem about 2 times a year but people in better climates must use them all the time outside.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Change the angle so that it doesn't reflect as much. Or buy an anti-glare screen cover.

3. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Launch nuclear weapons to block out the sun.....
    Wait, wrong thread.
    Antiglare film will help increase visibility while outside. Also lowering the brightness of the screen will make the screen legible in direct sunlight. Another method if the sun isn't too strong is raise brightness to maximum. There are a bunch of ways to make the screen more legible in sunlight. I try not to use the iPad in the sun just because I don't want to heat it up too much with UV.

4. SweetDove macrumors regular

Besides an anti-glare screen cover, I've seen people fold up their cases oddly to create a sort of shadow (but it looked uncomfortable) or you could wear sunglasses maybe? Hm. I usually sit under the shade myself, but that's a personal preference.

5. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Sunglasses won't help. In fact, if the sunglasses are polarized you'll end up staring at a black screen.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1. PowerSupport AG film helps a lot. Not 100%, but still significant.

2. Stay out of direct sunlight, find at least some shade, umbrella sitting outside on a patio, tree in a field. Standing in direct sunlight not only makes the screen excessively difficult to read, but also is damaging. Heat build up in the layers under the glass can cause over heating, like a greenhouse effect. Prolonged direct sunlight should be avoided.

eInk is the most ideal screen type in sunlight.