First iPad & iCloud

Discussion in 'iPad' started by greenwoodma1, Feb 18, 2012.

1. greenwoodma1 macrumors newbie

Feb 18, 2012
    I'm thinking of buying an iPad3 when they come up, but I've got a couple of questions about how it would work with iCloud.

I understand I can turn iPad3 on without setting up with my Mac. So If I set it all up using iCloud, can I then get Apps on it (I've started downloading free apps in iTunes) straight from the iPad (which are only currently stored on iTunes)?

If I do a backup/sync via iCloud - does this mean that everything will be stored in the cloud and if something happened to my iPad or I got a new one I could just set it up from a previous backup using the Cloud?

I don't really want to have to keep connecting the iPad to my Mac, so I wish to get everything that's in my iTunes onto the iPad without connecting the two. Is this possible?

Do you still need to do sync/backups manually connected to a Mac?
  2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Apr 30, 2010
    You do not have to sync with your MAC but updates are needed.

Why do you not want to connect with your MAC?
  3. ejisfun macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2011
    When you log in with your apple id and go to the app store, any apps that you've downloaded will show an "install" button instead of a "purchase" button. In addition, if you go to the updates tab of the app store, you can see all of the apps you have purchased.
  4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

Jun 11, 2011
    its possible, but iCloud only gives you 5gb for free.
    Your iPad will have at least 16gb of storage so you will need to purchase it.
    What I do, is I just use wireless sync.
  5. greenwoodma1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 18, 2012
    Is wireless sync just like a wired sync/backup?

I used to have an iPhone and everything was just synced/backed up via iTunes with phone plugged into it. I probably only did this once every few months, as couldn't be bothered to plug it in.

So any option of not having to keep turning my Mac on, is good.

I heard that if you use iCloud you can't use iTunes as restores are different?!?
  6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Jul 17, 2008
    Read the following thread, and you'll see that you can have backups in both iCloud and iTunes.

Rest assured, iClouds does pretty much what you want. If you never want to hook up your iPad to a Mac, you won't have to. Just get iPad 3, and THEN, if you cant figure things out, come back and ask questions. A lot of this stuff is easier to explain if you have the device and can follow the steps as we explain them to you.